One of the best stayers getting around a couple of years ago, the Hawkes-trained Maluckyday is looking to return to form this weekend when they take on a crack field of fellow stayers in the 2013 The BMW at Sydney’s Rosehill Racecourse.
The Zabeel gelding was in peak form during the spring of 2010 when backing up from a three straight winning streak to run second to French star Americain in the ‘race that stops a nation’ – the Melbourne Cup.
Injuries and setbacks have since plagued their career on the track with the now six-year-old having spent over 20 months on the sidelines between then and now.
Third-up this prep Maluckyday showed a glimmer of their former form when finishing third behind Foreteller and Fiveandahalfstar in the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill.
They will face both of those horses again at the same track this Saturday in the $2.25 million Group 1 The BMW (2500m).
Favourite in the current The BMW betting markets is the Anthony Cummings-trained Fiveandahalfstar $3.10 out to become the 11th three-year-old to win since 1977 when it became a weight-for-age race.
He is followed in The BMW odds by two $7 chances, Ranvet Stakes winner Foreteller and then Maluckyday who is also the $7.50 second pick behind Julienas ($5) in the futures Sydney Cup odds for the two mile feature on April 27 at Royal Randwick.
Drawn better than mid-field in barrier five with Dwayne Dunn retaining the ride there is plenty to suggest Maluckyday can be competitive again on Saturday and improve on their disappointing effort last time they ran in The BMW when seventh to Cedarberg back in 2011.
#5 Maluckyday – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 5
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes
- Owners: Mr N Moraitis A M
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Zabeel out of Natalie Wood
- Career: 21-5-3-3
- Win: 23.81%
- Place: 52.38%
- Last 6: 50×563
- Prize Money: $1,361,600
- Track: 5-0-0-3
- Distance: 3-1-0-0
- Current 2013 The BMW Odds: $7
Pros For Backing Maluckyday in The BMW 2013 Betting
- Should get a gun run from barrier five with their Ranvet Stakes jockey Dwayne Dunn staying on
- Barrier five is statistically one of the most successful in the race’s history producing four winners to date
- Suited to the weight-for-age conditions of the race
- Showed really nice improvement on their recent form last start when third in the Ranvet
- Gets an extra 400m here going up to the 2400m which is going to suit
- Winner up to 2500m, including a 2400m win, and has been competitive up to the two miles
- Distance is a concern for Ranvet Stakes winner Foreteller and Maluckyday is at the same price as them for Saturday
- Is a former Melbourne Cup runner-up so on their day they have the class to win this
- Co-trainer John Hawkes boasts an awesome record in The BMW having prepared five previous winners
- Yet to win at Rosehill from five starts
- Is a gelding and geldings have won eight of the past 10 The BMW’s and the last four straight
Cons For Taking the 2013 The BMW Odds on Maluckyday
- Needs to beat the two horses that got the better of them in the Ranvet with #1 Foreteller ($7) and the favourite #12 Fiveandahalfstar ($3.10)
- Hasn’t won a race since The Lexus Stakes back in October of 2010 which is a lengthy drought
- Hit and miss over the past couple of seasons rung a cracker then failing next start which could be an omen after their good last start effort
- Has a poor winning strike rate of only 23.81% which is third worst in the race – better place bet?
- Another indication they are better for a minor place is their three thirds from five starts at Rosehill
- Heading towards the Sydney Cup over 3200m so could hit their peak then and not here
Think Maluckyday is on the verge of a comeback that will see them score an upset The BMW result this weekend?
Then get behind them or any of your other Golden Sipper Day selections at the hottest prices online at bookmaker.com.au where first-time depositing players are being rewarded this autumn only with a $500 Bonus Welcome Bet!