Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Victorian filly Villa Verde was a close second favourite in the 2013 Golden Slipper (1200m) market before the Moet And Chandon Stakes.
And then Slipper top elect Overreach blew her out of the water, leaving the grey Villa Verde 4 1/2 lengths behind as she passed the winning post.
Now a $13 chance, can the Shaun Dwyer-trained filly improve enough to bounce back and defeat Overreach as she did on debut at the Melbourne Spring Carnival?
The Not A Single Doubt filly has drawn barrier 17 but that doesn’t concern jockey Michael Rodd.
“She is very good from the barriers, so I’ll take my time coming across and will, hopefully, end up three deep with cover,” Rodd said.
“It’s not the end of the world. I would like to have drawn (further) in, but the Golden Slipper is a high pressure race.”
Trainer Shaun Dwyer said he “couldn’t be happier” with the filly but does she have the ability to topple the favourite? Keep reading for the key Villa Verde facts as well as the pros and cons about her Golden Slipper chances
#14 Villa Verde – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Shaun Dwyer
- Jockey: Michael Rodd
- Barrier: 17
- Weight: 54.5kg
- Owners: M G Buys & R S Willis
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by Not A Single Doubt (AUS) out of Young And Free (Aus)
- Career: 3-2-1-0
- Prize Money: $206,000
- Current 2013 Golden Slipper Odds: $13
Why Villa Verde Can Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Only horse in the field to have beaten Overreach, defeating her by 1 1/2 lengths in the Inglis Debutant Stakes in October
- Won two of three and finished second to Overreach at her most recent start, strong form
- Clearly talented and mature for a two-year-old
- Has been specifically targeted and planned for this race
- Jockey Michael Rodd knows her well
Why Villa Verde Can’t Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- 4 1/2 lengths off Overreach, a convincing defeat and hard to make back
- Unproven in the wet and a slow or heavy track is likely
- Yet to win over the Slipper distance of 1200m
- Tricky barrier 17 position
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.