Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
After two big wins in Sydney against not much Hathras steps right up in class this Saturday taking on a gun field of Group 1 performers in their maiden black type start in the 2013 The BMW at Rosehill Gardens.
Throwing the lightly-raced Dansili four-year-old right into the deep end Broadmeadow-based trainer Kris Lees will run the exciting German import Hathras up against some of the best weight-for-age stayers getting around in the weekend’s $2.25 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m) and they are well liked in the markets for the Golden Slipper Day feature.
Current The BMW odds have Anthony Cummings’ perennial runner-up Fiveandahalfstar paying $3.10 as the top fancy to score a well-earned win, their first since saluting in last year’s Victoria Derby over a comparative 2500m.
The second line of The BMW betting is shared by last start Ranvet Stakes winner Foreteller and comeback galloper Maluckyday at $7 followed closely by the widely-drawn Hathras at $7.50.
Set to jump from the outside barrier (12) with Christian Reith in the saddle it is a tough assignment for Hathras here as they have had just three previous runs in Australia, none at stakes level let alone a Sydney Autumn Carnival Group 1.
Still Lees remains confident they can give the favourites a run for their money after they caught the eye at their two most recent runs.
Second-up at Rosehill they put four lengths on their rivals to win a Benchmark 75 over 1800m on a mud track before their nine length romp over 2200m at Warwick Farm on March 21 – Reith aboard for both runs.
So will Hathras handle the class rise on Saturday and be competitive in The BMW 2013? Or will they fail in their bid to hit the big time and finish at the tail end of the field?
#10 Hathras – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 12
- Jockey: Christian Reith
- Trainer: Kris Lees
- Owners: Australian Bloodstock No 2, Dalby Racing, Mr J A Roddy, Mr J P Mcredmond, Mr D J Mckee, Mr G W Smith, Campbell & Hilmer Racing, Mr P A Pavan, Mr B Danaher, Hytoan, Mr R J Hepworth, Mr C J Sneddon, Mr P J Dodds, Mr C J Brown, Mr J A Wright, Mr D W Price, Australian Bloodstock, Hathras
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Dansili out of Humaita
- Career: 6-3-1-2
- Win: 50.00%
- Place: 100.00%
- Last 6: 21×311
- Prize Money: $77,834
- Track: 1-1-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2013 The BMW Odds: $7.50
Why Hathras Can Win The BMW 2013
- Christian Reith stays on having guided them to back-to-back victories leading up to this
- Form of European imports at the autumn carnival in recent years has been good
- Comes off two blistering wins in Sydney firstly by four lengths at Rosehill and then by nine at Warwick Farm
- Should handle the distance having easily accounted for their rivals over 2200m last time out
- Also a winner over 2350m back in Germany last year
- Can handle the wet should it rain having won at Rosehill on a Heavy (8) two starts back
- Is one of only two last-start winners in the race and last year’s champ Manighar came off a victory
- Has only had a few runs but their good strike rate so far is the second best of the field at 50%
Why Hathras Won’t Win the 2013 The BMW
- Has the extreme outside barrier (12) to overcome which hasn’t produced a runner in the past 30 years
- Yet to race in a black type event and this is a Golden Slipper Day Group 1
- Has only had three runs so far and none against this type of rivals
- Faces a plethora of Group 1 winners including the favourite Fiveandahalfstar ($3.10) as well as Ranvet Stakes champ Foreteller ($7), Auckland Cup winner Sangster ($15) and smart Kiwi mare Silent Achiever ($10) to name a few
- Is at a disadvantage as a stallion as geldings have won eight of the past 10 The BMW’s while the other two winners in that time were both mares
Whichever The BMW runner you fancy for the win on Saturday make sure you don’t settle for second best odds by betting online at the country’s premier online bookie bookmaker.com.au.
If you are new to sign-up with bookmaker.com.au make sure too that you also take advantage of their awesome autumn offer of a $500 bonus bet when you join, deposit and use the code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.