This Saturday Australian Derby-bound three-year-old Fiveandahalfstar will take on the older stayers in the 2013 The BMW on Golden Slipper Day, the ultra-consistent galloper to jump favourite in the weight-for-age classic, but can they get the job done for the punters?
Anthony Cummings’ top Hotel Grand gelding hit the headlines in their final spring run last season when taking out the Group 1 Vitoria Derby (2500m) in Melbourne.
This time in they have had four runs and finished second every time in a frustrating succession of minor placings.
Third-up they contested the Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m) and came within a short half-head of Super Cool before backing up a fortnight later to run another close second this time finishing half a length off Foreteller, who they face again this weekend, in the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill.
With a run in Sydney now under their belt for the autumn and getting up to the mile and a half for the $2.25 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m) there is confidence with the bookies and punters that Fiveandahalfstar can finally salute in another elite level.
In the latest The BMW odds the young gun pays $3.10, Fiveandahalfstar to jump from barrier six with Hugh Bowman taking over from Peter Robl.
So will Fiveandahalfstar break their streak of second placings? Or will they be playing second fiddle once again when they reach the finish line in The BMW 2013?
#12 Fiveandahalfstar – Horse Form
- Barrier: 6
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Trainer: Anthony Cummings
- Owners: Anthony Cummings Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd, Bangaloe Stud, Mr J P Cuvelier, Ms S K K Wong, Mr H F Dyball
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Hotel Grand from Cryptic Miss
- Career: 19-3-6-1
- Win: 15.79%
- Place: 52.63%
- Last 6: 1×2222
- Prize Money: $1,348,460
- Track: 5-1-1-1
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 The BMW Odds: $3.10
Yes – Fiveandahalfstar Will Win The BMW 2013
- Has come oh so close to another Group 1 victory with four straight seconds this time in, the last two at elite level and look overdue for a win this autumn
- Comes through the Australian Cup and Ranvet Stakes which are the two races last year’s The BMW winner Manighar took out ahead of their Golden Slipper Day success
- Only has to improve slightly on their Ranvet run to win this
- Gets an extra 400m off their last start going up to the 2400m which will suit as they won the Victoria Derby last season over 2500m
- Will be better the Sydney way of racing after seeing it for the first time since last October in the Ranvet
- Won their start before that at the track when a three length winner at Rosehill over 1800m during the spring
- Ideal barrier six draw giving them options; also the same barrier Manighar won from last year
- Gets in with 54.5kg under weight-for-age
- Top jockey in the saddle with Hugh Bowman reuniting, he rode them at this track as a two-year-old last year
- Three-year-olds have a great record in the race since it became a WFA event in 1977 with 10 winners including Kingston Town (1980) and Octagonal (1997)
- Favourites have a decent record in The BMW with 12 top fancies saluting since 1983
- Decent record at Rosehill (5-1-1-1)
- Is the right sex with geldings having won eight of the past 10 The BMW’s including the past four on the trot
No – Fiveandahalfstar Won’t be the 2013 The BMW Winner
- Have to beat #1 Foreteller ($7) who had their measure in the Ranvet last start
- Hasn’t been ridden by Bowman since May last year
- No Victoria Derby winner has ever won The BMW
- Of the five who have tried the only to place was Arena who was third in 1999
- The race is no stranger to upsets with four winners since 2001 at $26 or longer in the odds
- Has the second worst Win Rate of the field with 15.79%
Whether you’re backing or sacking The BMW betting favourite this weekend you’re guaranteed the right price when you bet online at bookmaker.com.au – the first online bookie in Australia offering punters the chance to Pick Your Own Odds!