The countdown to the Group 1 2013 Golden Slipper (1200m) is nearly over, with the $3.5 million glamour two-year-old race to take place at Rosehill on Saturday.
The premier juvenile event in Australia and the richest for its age group in the world, the Golden Slipper is one of the nation’s biggest races.
Amongst all the hype, glitz and glamour a horse race has to be run and won. So who will emerge as this year’s star youngster?
Will it be the odds-on favourite Overreach ($2.15) to make it back-to-back titles and a fifth Slipper win for high profile trainer Gai Waterhouse?
Can the Victorian grey Villa Verde ($12) exact revenge for a last-start drubbing by Overreach? Will Silver Slipper winner Sweet Idea ($15) upset her star stablemate? Or can Criterion ($11), Sidestep or Whittington ($12) keep the trend of male winners going?
The Races.com.au experts have been hard at work studying the form, betting and trends for the Golden Slipper and are here to bring you a comprehensive betting preview for the drawcard event.
2013 Golden Slipper Form Facts & Betting Stats
- The two most recent Slipper winners, Pierro and Sepoy, were colts. Criterion ($11), Sidestep ($11), Whittington ($15), Fast ‘n’ Rocking ($19) and I’m All The Talk ($19) are the best rated colts in the field.
- Pierro won the Todman Stakes while Sepoy finished second making it a key lead-up race. Criterion ($11) beat Fast ‘n’ Rocking to win the Todman this year.
- Barrier one has been the most successful barrier with nine winners, including last year’s champion Pierro. Odds-on favourite Overreach ($2.15) has drawn the inside this year.
- Overreach’s jockey Tommy Berry is yet to taste Golden Slipper success.
- The only horse to have defeated Overreach is Villa Verde ($12) who beat her at the Melbourne Spring Carnival when they both debuted in the Inglis Debutant Stakes.
- The only barrier yet to produce a winner is 13. This year Sweet Idea ($15) has that alley.
- Behind her legendary father TJ Smith (6 winners), Gai Waterhouse has trained the equal second most Slipper winners with four including Pierro. She has three runners with Overreach, Sweet Idea and Whittington.
- The last filly to win the Golden Slipper was Crystal Lily (2010). She won the Sweet Embrace Stakes as her final lead-up. John O’Shea’s filly Romantic Moon ($34) won this year’s Sweet Embrace Stakes.
- In overall statistics, colts have won 25 Slippers compared to 23 for the fillies.
- Last year’s winning jockey-trainer combination of Nash Rawiller-Gai Waterhouse returns with Whittington this year.
- Also having previously scored for Waterhouse is Jim Cassidy (Ha Ha, 2001) and he will ride Sweet Idea for the lady trainer.
- Criterion will attempt to become the first horse since Catbird in 1999 to win the Black Opal Stakes-Golden Slipper double.
- Darley trainer Peter Snowden won his first Golden Slipper in 2011 with Sepoy. He has three chances with Sidestep, Guelph ($26) and Kuroshio ($81).
- Horses to have won over the 1200m distance are Criterion, Sidestep, I’m All The Talk, Dothraki, Overreach and Ruud Awkening.
- Of those, Ruud Awakening has won the most over the trip, with three 1200m victories.
- Ruud Awakening will be making her Australian debut after five wins from six starts in New Zealand. No New Zealand-trained horse has ever won the Slipper.
- Horses that have won at track and distance are Overreach, Windjammer, Sidestep and Criterion.
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for the best Golden Slipper updates including betting updates, market movers and tips throughout the week.
Golden Slipper 2013 – Form Guide
|1.||CRITERION||David Payne||Hugh Bowman||2||56.5||2yoC||14||$99,238||4: 3 0 1||75.00%||100.00%||1×311|
|2.||FAST ‘N’ ROCKING||D A Hayes||Steven Arnold||15||56.5||2yoC||14||$50,910||5: 0 2 0||0.00%||40.00%||7×4422|
|3.||KUROSHIO||Peter Snowden||Joshua Parr||16||56.5||2yoC||35||$39,630||5: 2 1 1||40.00%||80.00%||13×216|
|4.||SIDESTEP||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||5||56.5||2yoC||7||$41,875||4: 1 1 1||25.00%||75.00%||3x2L1|
|5.||I’M ALL THE TALK||G Portelli||Brenton Avdulla||13||56.5||2yoC||21||$35,930||5: 2 1 1||40.00%||80.00%||31241|
|6.||WHITTINGTON||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||10||56.5||2yoC||28||$53,333||3: 2 1 0||66.67%||100.00%||1×21|
|7.||DOTHRAKI||G A Ryan||Corey Brown||3||56.5||2yoC||7||$30,313||4: 1 1 1||25.00%||75.00%||5132|
|8.||CHARLIE BOY||G A Ryan||Glyn Schofield||14||56.5||2yoC||14||$33,083||3: 1 0 1||33.33%||66.67%||1×34|
|9.||VA PENSIERO||J C Coyle||Tim Clark||8||56.5||2yoC||14||$22,188||4: 1 1 0||25.00%||50.00%||0x129|
|10.||WINDJAMMER||Bjorn Baker||Peter Robl||12||56.5||2yoC||14||$10,750||3: 0 1 0||0.00%||33.33%||2×44|
|11.||OVERREACH||Ms G Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||1||54.5||2yoF||14||$87,767||3: 2 1 0||66.67%||100.00%||2×11|
|12.||RUUD AWAKENING||S B Marsh||Craig Williams||18||54.5||2yoF||28||$95,616||6: 5 1 0||83.33%||100.00%||112111|
|13.||SWEET IDEA||Ms G Waterhouse||Jimmy Cassidy||4||54.5||2yoF||35||$107,440||5: 2 3 0||40.00%||100.00%||12221|
|14.||VILLA VERDE||S A Dwyer||Michael Rodd||17||54.5||2yoF||14||$73,333||3: 2 1 0||66.67%||100.00%||11×2|
|15.||GUELPH||Peter Snowden||Christian Reith||9||54.5||2yoF||42||$44,875||4: 2 1 0||50.00%||75.00%||2×119|
|16.||ROMANTIC MOON||J A O’shea||James Mc Donald||6||54.5||2yoF||21||$35,893||3: 2 0 0||66.67%||66.67%||181|
|17.||HAVANA||Paul Messara||Not Notified||11||56.5||2yoC||14||$15,500||2: 0 0 1||0.00%||50.00%||73|
|18.||IL CAVALLO||P G Moody||Not Notified||7||56.5||2yoC||10||$21,000||1: 1 0 0||100.00%||100.00%||1|