A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
The betting suggests the 2013 Golden Slipper is Overreach’s for the taking but there are 15 other horses in the field including in-form colt Criterion.
The David Payne-trained colt has progressed steadily towards the $3.5 million event and brings with him terrific form.
An $11 chance in the Golden Slipper market, Criterion will chase a third straight win this weekend.
Drawn just outside Overreach in barrier two, the Sebring colt will get an early look at the horse to beat.
So can Criterion again step up and prove himself among the top echelon of youngsters in the nation? Or will the Golden Slipper proved him to be a touch out of his class?
The Races.com.au team have compiled some key stats as well as the reasons why he can and can’t win the world’s richest two-year-old race.
#1 Criterion – Horse Facts
- Trainer: David Payne
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Barrier: 2
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: Sir O G Glenn
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Sebring (AUS) out of Mica’s Pride (Aus)
- Career: 4-3-0-1
- Prize Money: $396,950
- Current 2013 Golden Slipper Odds: $12
Why Criterion Can Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- In strong form, won the Black Opal Stakes and Todman Stakes as lead-up races
- Last year’s winner Pierro won the Todman, while 2011 winner Sepoy was second
- Has shown improvement each run, ready to peak here
- Drawn to get a nice run from barrier two, can follow speed of likely leader Overreach
- To be ridden by gun Sydney jockey Hugh Bowman
- Has run at both track and distance
Why Criterion Can’t Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Does he have the class to be Australia’s best two-year-old?
- Neither trainer nor jockey have won the Slipper
- How will he perform if predicted rain comes?
- Must be quick out of the gates in the Slipper, perhaps a slight concern
So can Criterion winner the Golden Slipper? Will it be Overreach? Villa Verde? Sidestep? Something at longer odds? Whoever you fancy, ensure you are getting great odds on the Golden Slipper by signing up at Races.com.au preferred bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Bookmaker.com.au is home of the $400 bonus bet offer which you can take advantage of by signing up today quoting the code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.