Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It’s a case of Overreach against the rest in the 2013 Golden Slipper (1200m) and one of the horses gunning for the favourite is Darley-owned colt Sidestep.
The Exceed And Excel colt is at $11 to take out the prized juvenile race and has shown plenty of ability early in his career.
Sidestep will be backing up just seven days after winning the Pago Pago Stakes and will have blinkers applied in order to sharpen him up.
Trainer Peter Snowden admitted after Saturday’s victory the colt is still immature mentally but knows he has the ability to match it with the best.
“It was only the last 150 metres that he knuckled down, but he’s dead-set got good, true ability and whether it’s going to come next week [in the Slipper] or later on,” Snowden said.
“He’s still immature, he’s still new and does things wrong which is a bit of a concern. And I still think he wants headgear on to make him concentrate.”
So will the addition of blinkers help propel Sidestep to a Slipper victory? Or has it all come too early for the emerging colt?
Keep reading for all the pros and cons as well as the stats that matter when it comes to Sidestep in Saturday’s $3.5 million sprint.
#4 Sidestep – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Barrier: 5
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: Sheikh Mohammed
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Exceed And Excel (AUS) out of Dextrous (AUS)
- Career: 4-1-1-1
- Prize Money: $167,500
- Current 2013 Golden Slipper Odds: $11
Why Sidestep Can Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Brings strong form into the race, won the Pago Pago Stakes last weekend
- Showed sharp turn of foot to win the Pago Pago comfortably, needs to repeat that
- Likely to be sharper at the start with the addition of blinkers
- Drawn well in barrier five
- Trainer and jockey have combined to win before with Sepoy in 2011
Why Sidestep Can’t Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Backing up just seven days after the Pago Pago
- Will he adapt to the blinkers
- Still immature, can he match it with more mentally sound horses?
- Has been a poor beginner which he can’t be in the Slipper
- Beaten by fellow Slipper runner Criterion in the Black Opal Stakes, must overcome him as well as a number of other quality gallopers
Does Sidestep have what it takes to beat the favourite? Will Overreach be too strong? Whoever you fancy in the Slipper, ensure you are getting sensational odds by betting at bookmaker.com.au, the Races.com.au preferred bookie and home of the $400 bonus bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.