Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
At $2.15 and with no other runner falling under double figures, Overreach is considered to be almost unbeatable in the 2013 Golden Slipper (1200m).
But can the Gai Waterhouse-trained filly stand up on the biggest stage this Saturday at Rosehill in the world’s richest two-year-old race?
The emerging star certainly brings terrific form into the race and there’s no doubting her ability.
Will barrier one be a hindrance or a help? She’s been thumping the fillies but can she now beat the boys?
There are some concerns about getting caught behind runners but jockey Tommy Berry has faith in her ability.
“In her last two races, she has jumped a half-length in front of the rest so we know she is usually a brilliant beginner,” Berry said.
Not sure whether to stick with the favourite or look elsewhere? Keep reading for the stats that matter as well as the pros and cons about Overreach’s chances in the Golden Slipper.
#11 Overreach – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Jockey: Tommy Berry
- Barrier: 1
- Weight: 54.5kg
- Owners: Corumbene Stud Pty Ltd (MGR: G ALTOMONTE), G Altomonte, Ms L N Smith & G Severino
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by Exceed and Excel (AUS) out of Bahia (AUS)
- Career: 3-2-1-0
- Prize Money: 263,300
- Current 2013 Golden Slipper Odds: $2.15
Why Overreach Can Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Sensational lead-up form. Won Widden Stakes by six lengths and Moet and Chandon Stakes by 4 1/2
- Worst career result was second on debut
- From stable of Gai Waterhouse. Unbelievable record with juveniles. Four Golden Slipper winners and chasing back-to-back titles
- Drawn the inside which is the most successful barrier in history. Nine winners have jumped from barrier one, including Pierro
- Won at the track and distance comfortably last start
- Has a good association with jockey Tommy Berry
Why Overreach Can’t Win the 2013 Golden Slipper
- Is barrier one not the benefit it seems? Must jump well. Won’t get the picnic in front she has had previously
- Jockey Tommy Berry is yet to win a Golden Slipper, is he experienced enough on the big stage?
- She has been winning in small fields where she has dictated. How will she respond to the hustle and bustle and pressue in the Slipper?
Think Overreach can win the Golden Slipper? Want to get a better price? Try the pick your own odds feature at bookmaker.com.au!
Get better odds on the Golden Slipper favourite by selecting the margin you think she will win by. She’s been walloping her rivals in the lead-ups and if she can win by more than two lengths you can get $6. More than three lengths is $11 while if she repeats her Moet and Chandon Stakes win of 4 1/2 lengths you can get $34.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.