Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Colin Little’s resuming Group 1 performer Soft Sand has been installed as the early favourite to win the last at Sydney’s Rosehill Guineas Day on Saturday, the talented mare topping the 2013 Birthday Card Stakes odds.
Bringing the Easter Saturday racing action to a close at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday the $125,000 Group 3 Birthday Card Stakes (1200m) is scheduled as Race 9 at 5:25pm.
Of the 14 fillies and mares engaged in the race it is Dansili four-year-old Soft Sand leading the current Birthday Card Stakes odds at a quote of $5.
Drawn in gate 10 with ace hoop Craig Williams to ride, Soft Sand ended a hit and miss spring campaign last prep with a close second to Appearance in the Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m).
The form on that performance was enhanced last Saturday at Rosehill when Myer Classic winner Appearance scored her second Group 1 victory in the Coolmore Classic.
Soft Sand has an excellent first-up record of three wins from four attempts and will be looking to add another in the Birthday Card Stakes.
It is a wide open market for the final in Sydney this Saturday with six other contenders under $10 in the betting with:
- #6 Arinosa ($6.50) – Early market mover has gate 14 to overcome but the punters are backing them to do just that with Chris Waller’s consistent grey coming off a first-up win in the Listed Wenona Girl Handicap (1200m) where they defeated a similar field from gate 10 of 11
- #7 Catkins ($7) – Nice gate two draw for Waller’s progressive Dubawi filly who also comes off a first-up win having taken out a Listed feature at Rosehill over 1100m in the mud at the start of the month, also won by three lengths here back in November of 1300m so the 1200m second-up looks ideal
- #2 Miss Stellabelle ($8) – Carries the second biggest weight here (56.5kg) and needs to improve on their disappointing eighth in the Wenona Girl if Gai Waterhouse’s daughter of Dehere is to win their first race since September last year at Wyong, does have good spring form against the likes of Mosheen when third to her in the Group 2 Blazer Stakes at Flemington
- #13 Shamal Wind ($8.50) – Lightweight chance on 54kg with regular hoop Glen Boss to ride, Robert Smerdon’s three-year-old is another youngster from sire Dubawi, has won three from five to date, 12th in the Oakleigh Plate when tested too soon, bounced back with a very close third in a Group 2 in SA on March 11
- #8 Emotional Circus ($9) – Elusive Quality four-year-old fourth at Warwick Farm first-up on March 9 in their first run for new trainer Kris Lees, previously enjoyed Group 2 third in the Premier Stakes at Randwick back in October and has improvement in them
- #11 Choice Words ($9.50) – Choisir mare has been thereabouts this prep when third to Steps In Time in the Group 2 NSW Thoroughbred Breeders Classic over the 1200m at Rosehill before their second in the Wenona Girl
Choice Word’s trainer David Vandyke has been pleased with the four-year-olds’ recent form and is tipping a big run from them on the weekend urging punters to stick with her despite having been the beaten favourite in many of her lead-up runs.
“I think Choice Words has started favourite four out of her past five and not won,” Vandyke said.
“Punters probably hate her but she has been a good horse to her owners because she has won $58,000 in prize money and been stakes-placed twice in that time.
“She is a nice horse and you know what you will get with her, which is an honest run, but in this grade she has to get the break to win.”
See below for the full Birthday Card Stakes 2013 odds, prices courtesy of our No. 1 recommended online sportsbook bookmaker.com.au.
Now is the perfect time to discover the benefits of betting online with bookmaker.com.au as they are rewarding first-time players with a bonus bet valued at 100 percent of their first deposit up to $400 when you enter the code BONUSBET!
2013 Birthday Card Stakes Odds
Rosehill Gardens Race 9 – 5:25pm (AEST) – 30/01/2013
|1||LADYS ANGEL (11)||17.00|
|2||MISS STELLABELLE (8)||8.00|
|3||SOFT SAND (10)||5.00|
|8||EMOTIONAL CIRCUS (7)||9.00|
|10||EVER THE SAME (13)||16.00|
|11||CHOICE WORDS (6)||9.50|
|13||SHAMAL WIND (12)||8.50|
|14||NEW BEGINNING (5)||34.00|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.