On Saturday a quality field of two-year-old colts and gelding will face off in the Pago Pago Stakes 2013, many having their last chance bid at a Golden Slipper start, and below the Races.com.au team has their insider tips on the Rosehill Guineas Day feature.
Due to jump at 2:10pm (AEST) as Rosehill Gardens Race 4 – the $175,000 Group 2 Pago Pago Stakes (1200m) has 10 contenders following the early scratching of #11 Zaba Zaba Doo.
Heading the latest Pago Pago Stakes odds is narrow $3 favourite Sidestep after atonement after losing their rider in the Todman last weekend, before which the Peter Snowden-trained colt ran a good second to subsequent Todman winner Criterion.
There are four other single-figure chances in the Pago then including Good Job Bro ($5) tipped to improve on their fifth Group 3 Skyline Stakes last time out and Skyline third place-getter Dothraki ($5.50).
Without much form to go on and with so many genuine chances picking the Pago Pago Stakes winner this year is tricky business.
So to help you clean up at bookmaker.com.au we’ve gone over the field and come up with our selections.
#6 Diamond Oasis ($6)
- Should get the run of the race from barrier four
- Won on debut last start (March 11) in a good effort over 1000m at Gosford
- The formline on that race was boosted at Canterbury on Wednesday with runner-up Divine Caller form the Gai Waterhouse stables winning a 1100m feature
- Had another success with a Randwick trail after their Gosford win when defeating the likes of Whittington and One Step Beyond over 727m on March 22
- Regular rider James McDonald stays on
#4 Sidestep ($3)
- Third on debut in the Listed Merson Cooper before coming back on March 10 to run a close second to Criterion in the Black Opal Stakes at Canberra
- Were to have their major Golden Slipper lead-up in the Group 2 Todman last Saturday but lost rider Corey Brown
- Criterion went on to take out the Todamn and there’s no telling how close Sidestep would have run
- They’ve had a little set back but are still classy and could prove hard to beat with the right run from barrier 7
#3 Dothraki ($5.50)
- Jumping from six with Glyn Schofield aboard gives them options
- Blinkers go on here to sharpen them up
- Third in the Skyline was good and can improve
- Winner at Canterbury back in late December of 1200m
Get behind our Pago Pago Stakes Trifecta tip online now at the best price with bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer for new customers that deposit and quote the code BONUSBET!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change