Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
One of the headline races on a bumper Rosehill Gardens line-up this Saturday, March 23, the 2013 Canterbury Stakes is shaping up as a crack showdown between Gai Waterhouse’s crack young colt Pierro and glamour mare More Joyous, but which horse should you be backing in the classic?
There are 10 top horses in the mix for this year’s $350,000 Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) which is due to run as Rosehill Race 8 at 4:50pm (AEST) – the quality of the competitors for the first edition of the race run at elite level not disappointing.
Current Canterbury Stakes betting markets are led by Lonhro three-year-old Pierro at $2.40 who is out for their fourth Group 1 title – first against the older horses however.
The 2012 Golden Slipper winner was tested in the Cox Plate during the spring and was far from disgraced when a brave third, still they only carried 49.5kg then and will have 56kg on Saturday.
Following Pierro in the Canterbury Stakes odds is then their well-credentialed stablemate More Joyous who is at $3.30 for her resuming run on the back of two winning Sydney trails.
The dual defending champ in this, More Joyous is a definite chance as always with a crack record at the track and the ideal barrier four draw.
Moment Of Change is the only other one the punters want here at $4.40, Peter Moody’s talented four-year-old winner of the Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes last prep.
They have been right in the mix this time in too when second to Black Caviar in the Lightning Stakes followed by a devastatingly close defeat as the beaten Newmarket Handicap favourite – ready to break through here.
So will these three single-figure fancies feature in the winning Canterbury Stakes trifecta? Or is there a big boil-over possible from a longer priced hopeful such as Rain Affair ($15) who is dying to get back to their scintillating early career form when winning their opening 11 starts?
#7 More Joyous ($3.30)
- She may not be the favourite Waterhouse runner in this but we just can’t go past her
- Eight Group 1 wins and nearly $4.5 million in earnings
- Won the past two editions of this race including first-up 12 months ago
- Runs well fresh and had two successful Sydney trials last month
- Nash Rawiller (tick) and barrier four (tick)
- 21 time winner from 30 starts – 70% Win Rate says it all
- Loves Rosehill with 11 wins from 14 starts here
- Should sit just off the front runners and fast pace will suit
#3 Moment Of Change ($4.40)
- Gearing up for another Group 1 win and should be spot on third-up
- Winner of the Sir Rupert during the spring
- Returned with a Lightning second to Black Caviar and then just lost the Newmarket having given 6kg to the winner Shamexpress
- Deserves a breakthrough and could get it here with Luke Nolen aboard
#10 Pierro ($2.40)
- Is going to be close and a win by them wouldn’t surprise but think they will fill a minor placing this time
- Will have improvement after a win in the Hobartville in the wet but the mud track may have taken a bit out of them too
- Needs to beat the older horses and only time against them was Cox Plate third
- Carries 5.5kg more than that run here so with just 1kg on the likes of More Joyous and Moment Of Change they are going to be challenged
Roughie We Like
#6 Aeronautical ($31)
- Ace draw in gate three one inside of More Joyous who he can sit in the shadow of
- Was in great form when winning The Rosebud back in 2011 but kept out of the big races for the next two years
- Finally stepped up to top class in the Newmarket last start and from barrier one they came within a long neck of the winner when third behind Shamexpress and Moment Of Change
- Meet Moment Of Change equal here however going up from 52.5kg to 59kg and that will be too big a challenge for them to win but a bit of luck from the gate and a some Craig Williams magic isn’t without a top 4 hope
- Winner at the track during the spring over 1400m too so credentials at Rosehill
Whether you are taking us up on our tips or taking us on you need an account with bookmaker.com.au to get in on the Canterbury Stakes betting action.
So sign-up with them today and don’t forget to quote the promotional code BONUSBET when you make your first deposit to have it matched dollar for dollar as a bonus bet valued up to a generous $400!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.