Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
They were on fire last Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival winning the Ranvet Stakes in the middle of an historic Group 1 treble, but does Manighar have what it takes to become a dual champ in the race on the weekend?
The now seven-year-old imported Linamix grey was an autumn revelation for trainer Peter Moody this time last year, Manighar winning four of their opening five starts for the top horseman including three Group 1 features.
After a third-up win over Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed in the Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington Manighar travelled to Sydney for the $400,000 Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) and saluted in the Rosehill showdown ahead of their big win over Melbourne Cup hero Americain in the Group 1 The BMW (24000m) at the same track two weeks later on Golden Slipper Day.
It is a very different story form-wise for the ageing gelding ahead of the Ranvet Stakes 2013 however with Manighar not having won a race since last year’s The BMW.
Injured after a two start spring campaign Manighar spent five and a half months spelling before their much awaited return in the Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) at Warwick Farm on March 9.
Drawn in the far outside gate they only managed to beat home one rival when 11th to Shoot Out there, an effort that they are tipped to improve on this Saturday.
Drawn in gate 10, coming into nine with the current scratchings, Manighar will be ridden by Luke Nolen for their Ranvet Stakes title defense.
Current Ranvet Stakes betting markets are led by crack three-year-old Fiveandahalfstar ($3.10) and consistent New Zealand-trained mare Silent Achiever ($3.90).
Manighar meanwhile is the only other single-figure chance in the Ranvet Stakes odds at a quote of $7.50, a price the punters came for early on.
So what chance does the warhorse in the field have of success? Can they win the Ranvet again and silence the critics?
#1 Manighar – Horse Form
- Barrier: 10 (into 9)
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: O T I Manighar, Carson Joel, Mr J C Higgins, Uthmeyer Racing, Hon. E I Mack, Gurners Bloodstock Co, Mrs D M Tricarico, EST D C Christensen, Mr A Karoll, Glenlogan Park
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Linamix out of Mintly Fresh
- Career: 32-10-6-5
- Win: 31.25%
- Place: 65.63%
- Last 6: 3x26x0
- Prize Money: $3,565,918
- Track: 2-2-0-0
- Distance: 4-2-1-1
- Current 2013 Ranvet Stakes Odds: $7.50
Pros for Backing Manighar in Ranvet Stakes 2013 Betting
- Is the defending champion so knows how to win a Ranvet and is the only previous winner at this Track & Distance lining up on Saturday
- 11 horses before them have won multiple Ranvet Stakes most recently Theseo (2009-10)
- Will have improvement in them off their first-up failure in the Chipping Norton as they go up in distance
- 2000m is ideal (4-2-1-1), also competitive over this distance when second in the Queen Elizabeth and third in the Doomben Cup last year
- Undefeated at Rosehill (2-2-0-0) having also won the The BMW here last autumn
- Triple Group 1 winner and as such is the highest earner in the field having amassed over $3.5 million in prize money
Cons Against Manighar Winning the 2013 Ranvet Stakes
- Has won just one of their five second-up assignments
- Needs to improve hugely on their Chipping Norton run first-up
- Under WFA they give the favourite #1 Fiveandahalfstar (54.5kg) 4.5kg
- A number here are in much better form including last start Auckland Cup winner #2 Sangster ($12)
- Looks a better Place bet with their place percentage a consistent 65.63% compared to their 31.25% win rate
- Has been nearly 12 months since their last turf triumph
- Not in nearly the same class form-wise as when they won this last year
If you believe Manighar is capable of an upset Ranvet Stakes 2013 result and has what it takes to go back-to-back in the weight-for-age feature then head over to bookmaker.com.au and get behind them at the best prices in the country.
Even better, why not Pick Your Own Odds on the Ranvet Stakes and all the other Rosehill races this weekend with bookmaker.com.au’s exclusive markets.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.