A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
This weekend Anthony Cummings’ flying young gelding Fiveandahalfstar will look to extend their Group 1 tally to two when the Victoria Derby winning three-year-old takes on a crack field of older weight-for-age stars in the Ranvet Stakes 2013 at Rosehill Racecourse, but can the early favourite get the job done?
The son of Hotel Grand scored a huge upset in last spring’s Victoria Derby taking out the Melbourne Cup Carnival classic as a $40 roughie.
This time in Fiveandahalfstar has had three very good runs coming second in each one, the most recent of which was when being beaten merely a short half-head by Super Cool in the Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m).
On Saturday they race over the 2000m again this time in Sydney’s $400,000 Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) against a field that features Group 1 winning Kiwi mare Silent Achiever, last start Auckland Cup champ Sangster and the defending Ranvet hero Manighar.
Despite the class of their competitors Fiveandahalfstar’s recent good form and constant improvement has seen them installed as the firming $3.10 favourite in the Ranvet Stakes odds.
Cummings is confident Saturday will bring out their best as they get the weight advantage and an ideal draw (barrier 4) and is spruiking them as a much better horse than when they won the Derby.
“He hasn’t won (this time in) but he is a bigger, stronger and more complete horse now,” he said.
“In the spring he was finding his way and it took a while.
“He had to work it out for himself in the spring. It was always there.
“Then one day at Canterbury, he relaxed and charged through a hole, and that was it, he realised he was a racehorse.
“He has gone from strength to strength since.”
So are the bookies, punters and the trainer spot on? Or will Fiveandahalfstar be found out?
#13 Fiveandahalfstar – Horse Form
Jockey: Peter Robl
Trainer: Anthony Cummings
Owners: Anthony Cummings Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd, Bangaloe Stud, Mr J P Cuvelier, Ms S K K Wong, Mr H F Dyball
Breeding: by Hotel Grand from Cryptic Miss
Last 6: 11×222
Prize Money: $1,268,460
Current 2013 Ranvet Stakes Odds: $3.10
Why Fiveandahalfstar Will Win the Ranvet Stakes 2013
- Gets the weight advantage as a 3YO carrying just 54.5kg meeting their closest rival #12 Silent Achiever ($3.80) 2.5kg better
- Glen Boss may be off but Sydney hoop Peter Robl reunites here having ridden them for back-to-back Sydney wins last spring
- Last time at the track they won by a breezy three lengths over 1800m so Rosehill holds no fears
- Group 1 winner in the Victoria Derby
- Ideal barrier four draw should give them the run of the race and ability to go forward
- Gate is also the one that produced last year’s winner Manighar
- Come off the same race as Manighar too (Australian Cup)
- 3YO’s have a decent record in the race with 23 previous wins, the most recent however was Gold Guru (1998)
Why Fiveandahalfstar Won’t be the 2013 Ranvet Stakes Winner
- Has been the beaten favourite before
- Needs to handle Sydney not having run here under race conditions since the spring
- A few in this field have the ability to surprise including the reigning champ #1 Manighar ($7.50)
- Don’t have a whole lot of big race or WFA experience
- Their winning strike rate is only fair (16.67%) – actually the worst in this field
Think the favourite has enough in their favour to make them a safe Ranvet Stakes bet this weekend?
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.