Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Tonight Moonee Valley Racecourse will host a bumper night’s racing for William Reid Stakes Night, one of the key support races on the program being the Sunline Stakes 2013– betting tips and exclusive Races.com.au selections for which are detailed below.
A smart 12-horse field of mares will line-up in this year’s $220,000 Group 2 Sunline Stakes (1600m) at 8:20pm (AEST) when the event runs as Moonee Valley Race 6, only one early scratching from the race so far with Mannerism Stakes winner Star Of Giselle.
In a tight Sunline Stakes betting market it is the Aaron Purcell-trained Spirit Song leading the way at $4 after her good second in the Schweppervescence last time out, just ahead of Peter Moody’s former Group 1 winner Lights Of Heaven ($4.60).
Other notable hopes include resuming six-year-old Hi Belle ($6.50) and another Moody-trained hope in There’s Only One ($6.50) who can improve on their last start sixth at Flemington.
But are these single-figure hopes the best ones to have your money on?
Or is there value to be had backing a longer priced mare in the market like last start Schweppervescence winner Bonaria ($14) or the in-form Family Crest ($15)?
#2 Spirit Song ($4)
- Great record at the Track (5-2-1-1) and handles the tight turns very well
- And distance (11-4-4-2)
- Also outstanding record over the Moonee Valley mile (4-2-1-1) including their win in this race 12 months ago
- Ready to improve on their last-start second against a similar class
- Should be ready to peak third-up
- Craig Williams stays on
- Group 1 place-getter over the mile
#6 There’s Only One ($6.50)
- Ideal barrier four draw gives them every chance to improve on their last start sixth in the Frances Tressday
- That was over 1400m and the mile will suit better
- Last time over the distance was in the Winter Championship Final when they were just a long neck away third
- Were beaten only 1.5 in the Tressday and will be more competitive in this if given the chance
- Before that won the Group 3 Bellmaine Stakes first-up and their jockey for that Daniel Stackhouse gets back on here
#1 Lights Of Heaven ($4.60)
- Group 1 winner as a three-year-old
- This looks the right distance second-up
- Winner at the track previously in the Group 2 Fillies Classic in 2011
- Last in the Futurity Stakes can be forgiven, will have improved on that and this is a big step back in class
- Second-up record is good and they have the class factor
- Third in the Caulfield Cup last spring and dual Group 2 Cup winner in Brisbane last winter – lot’s to like
Roughie We Like
#13 Family Crest ($15)
- Needs luck from the gate (13) but has ability and consistency on their side
- Good record at Moonee Valley (3-2-0-0)
- Has won over the mile too two back here in a mares-only handicap
- Lightly raced with just 14 starts and progressing
- Hasn’t finished out of the money in their past three
- Comes off a devastatingly close second to Star Of Giselle in the Group 3 Mannerism Stakes (1400m) and will appreciate extra 200m here
Whether you’re backing or sacking our Sunline Stakes 2013 tips make sure you get the best possible price by betting online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.