Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
The latest Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival meet is this Saturday’s Rosehill Gardens’ line-up where a triple shot of Group 1 racing action is headlined by the 2013 Canterbury Stakes– form guide analysis and betting preview from the crew at Races.com.au detailed below.
Spruiked as a scintillating showdown between two Gai Waterhouse-trained stars with glamour mare More Joyous to test her first-up skills against crack young colt Pierro, the $350,000 Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) features a field of 10 and is due to run as Rosehill Race 8 at 4:50pm (AEST).
Current Canterbury Stakes betting markets are led by Lonhro three-year-old Pierro at $2.30 who is getting the early love after their first-up win in the Hobartville Stakes in the wet here last start.
Reigning Canterbury Stakes winner More Joyous meanwhile is hot on her stablemate’s heels at a quote of $3 for her first run since an unplaced effort in the Cox Plate back in October.
The Peter Moody-trained four-year-old Moment Of Change ($4.80) who comes off a devastatingly close second to Shamexpress in the Newmarket Handicap is then the only other hopeful under $10 in the markets.
So will Waterhouse take it out? Can Moody score an upset? Or is there a real boil-over Canterbury Stakes result brewing with a double-figure chance boasting the stats to win?
Having gone over the Canterbury Stakes field, form guide, betting history and statistics below are the must know facts to help you back the winner online at bookmaker.com.au.
2013 Canterbury Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Canterbury Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained More Joyous from barrier 7 (of 15) with Nash Rawiller aboard who won the race first-up off a spell before winning three Group 1 races on the trot
- This year #7 More Joyous ($3) is back to defend her title drawn in gate four (of 10) with Rawiller back in the saddle as she resumes racing once again; she also won the race in 2011 third-up with Rawiller aboard
- Waterhouse is also represented by the favourite #10 Pierro ($2.30) as she vies for back-to-back victories
- This year there are just two last-start winners in the mix with #1 Happy Trails (Group 1, Emirates Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 10/11/2012) and #10 Pierro (Group 2, Hobartville Stakes, 1400m, Rosehill, 02/03/2013)
- #10 Pierro also boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with an impressive 81.82% followed by #7 More Joyous (70.00%) and #2 Rain Affair (64.71%)
- Yet to finish out of the money #10 Pierro has a flawless 100% Place Percentage too followed by #3 Moment Of Change (90.91%) and #2 Rain Affair (82.35%)
- Horses with the best record at the track are #10 Pierro (5-5-0-0), #4 Rain Affair (4-4-0-0), #7 More Joyous (14-11-0-1) and #5 Fontelina (4-1-1-0)
- Over the distance the most consistent runners are #4 Solzhenitsyn (6-4-1-0), #9 Mid Summer Music (8-4-2-0), #7 More Joyous (2-2-0-0), #8 Secret Admirer (2-1-1-0), #3 Moment Of Change (1-1-0-0) and #5 Fontelina (1-1-0-0)
- #7 More Joyous (2-2-0-0) is then the only previous winner at the Track & Distance having won the past two editions of the Canterbury when it held only Group 2 status
Think you’ve uncovered where the value Canterbury Stakes bets are at this year and want to lock them in at the best prices now?
2013 Canterbury Stakes Field & Form Guide
Rosehill Race 8 – 4:50pm (AEST) – 23/03/2013
|1.||HAPPY TRAILS||Paul Beshara||Glen Boss||1||59||5yoG||133||$41,702||29: 5 6 5||17.24%||55.17%||21501x|
|2.||RAIN AFFAIR||Joseph Pride||Corey Brown||10||59||5yoG||168||$64,656||17: 11 3 0||64.71%||82.35%||22x48x|
|3.||MOMENT OF CHANGE||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||9||59||4yoG||14||$62,717||11: 5 2 3||45.45%||90.91%||131×22|
|4.||SOLZHENITSYN||R L Heathcote||Damian Browne||6||59||6yoG||133||$24,616||26: 11 2 6||42.31%||73.08%||13136x|
|5.||FONTELINA||A J Cummings||Peter Robl||8||59||4yoG||14||$28,677||13: 4 2 0||30.77%||46.15%||6x10x7|
|6.||AERONAUTICAL||Lionel Cohen||Craig Williams||3||59||4yoG||14||$18,352||18: 3 2 2||16.67%||38.89%||417×33|
|7.||MORE JOYOUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||4||57||6yoM||147||$150,348||30: 21 0 2||70.00%||76.67%||x1140x|
|8.||SECRET ADMIRER||G M Begg||James Mc Donald||5||57||5yoM||133||$58,110||23: 3 5 9||13.04%||73.91%||35033x|
|9.||MID SUMMER MUSIC||P G Moody||Joshua Parr||2||57||7yoM||14||$47,567||29: 11 5 4||37.93%||68.97%||8731×4|
|10.||PIERRO||Ms G Waterhouse||Jimmy Cassidy||7||56||3yoC||21||$334,241||11: 9 1 1||81.82%||100.00%||1123×1|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.