While the focus in Sydney’s major meeting at Warwick Farm Racecourse this Saturday will be on the three-year-olds facing off in the Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) there will also be plenty of punters watching the Golden Slipper-bound fillies in the Sweet Embrace Stakes 2013– betting tips for which are detailed below.
Set to run as Race 4 at 2:50pm (AEST) this year’s $125,000 Group 3 Les Johnson Memorial Sweet Embrace Stakes (1200m) features 11 hopefuls, a number of which are looking to stake their claims on a bid in the $3.5 million Group 1 Golden Slipper (1200m) at Rosehill Gardens on April 6.
The best supported filly in both Saturday’s Sweet Embrace Stakes odds and the futures Golden Slipper betting is the Clarry Conners-trained Assail who resumes racing after an injury enforced break.
She looked back to her best with a winning trial this month and has drawn the rails with barrier one making her the one to beat at $2.60 through bookmaker.com.au.
There are a number of other genuine hopes out for an upset however including the Chris Waller-trained Calming Influence ($3.70) one beside her in gate three, the John O’Shea-trained More Than Ready filly Romantic Moon ($6.50) and even last start Canterbury winner Vocalise ($13) who looks an Oaks chance.
So which fillies should you have your money on this weekend? Is Assail foolproof heading into the 2013 Golden Slipper for which she is currently the $15 third favourite for? Or is an upset on the cards and a shake-up in the Slipper markets awaiting?
#1 Assail ($2.60)
- Has the class and while is coming off a short break showed her fitness with a Randwick trial win on March 5
- Peter Robl stays on – knows this filly and what she’s capable of
- Will get the gun run from gate one
- Won the Wyong Magic Millions by three lengths from the outside gate (12 of 12) so this looks a dream
- Has the Slipper in her sights and Conners is a master trainer of this age group
#2 Calming Influence ($3.70)
- Bookies look to have this Quinella spot-on
- Will get a nice start from barrier two right on Assail’s back
- Won at Rosehill in January over 1100m
- Ran second to Golden Slipper-bound colt Good Job Bro at this track and distance last month
- That was on a Heavy (9) and firmer ground will suit
- Benefits from the run over the 1200m which many of her rivals haven’t had
- Will relish the drop back from open company to a fillies-only affair here
#7 Tropical Force ($15)
- Adds nice value to the winning trifecta here
- Barrier four is ideal and will get every chance from there
- Nicely-bred for the sprints and should handle the 1200m
- Ran a very close second on debut at Warwick Farm last December
- Third in a Rosehill trial with improvement to come
- Benefits from this being her home track
To get behind your favourite fillies both in the Sweet Embrace Stakes and for the Golden Slipper make sure you bet with the 100 percent Australian owned, operated and trusted bookmaker.com.au where you can also Pick Your Own Odds on the races that count this season!