Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday Gai Waterhouse will look to score her first Group 1 of the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival when she saddles up livewire chance Proisir in the Randwick Guineas 2013.
Held this year at Warwick Farm Racecourse while upgrades at Randwick are completed, the $500,000 Group 1 Royal Randwick Guineas (1600m) is shaping up as a cracker showdown despite the absence of ace three-year-olds All Too Hard and Pierro.
While Waterhouse’s star Lonhro colt Pierro will be saved for a clash with stablemate More Joyous in the Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) Saturday week, she will still be represented in the elite level this weekend by smart Choisir colt Proisir.
Proisir hit the headlines during the spring after posting an impressive six length victory in the Group 3 Spring Stakes (1600m) at Newcastle in September.
They went down as the odds-on favourite next start however behind It’s A Dundeel, who races against them again in the Randwick Guineas on Saturday, in the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m).
After a brave eighth in the Cox Plate Proisir was sent out for a well-earned spell returning on March 2 with a third behind Pierro in the Group 2 Hobartville Stakes (1400m) in the mud at Rosehill, a good effort considering their barrier 10 from 10 draw.
“He’s done everything I could have asked of him since,” Waterhouse said.
“He’s toned up really well and will be very competitive.”
This weekend they will appreciate a kinder draw with barrier three, Hugh Bowman retaining the ride, as they look to turn the tables on the race favourite and Hobartville Stakes runner-up Rebel Dane.
#3 Proisir – Horse Form
- Barrier: 3
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Mr A Falcone, Mr M Falcone
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Choisir from Prophet Jewel
- Career: 6-3-1-1
- Win: 50%
- Place: 83.33%
- Last 6: 1128×3
- Prize Money: $375,230
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2013 Randwick Guineas Odds: $3.40
Yes – Proisir Can Win the Randwick Guineas 2013
- Was able to get the better of Spring Champion Stakes winner It’s A Dundeel in the Hobartville Stakes beating them home by one place
- Will get a gun run from barrier three as opposed to the outside gate last time out
- Regular rider Hugh Bowman stays on
- Prepared by one of the best trainers of Sydney three-year-olds in the country with Gai Waterhouse who won last year’s Rosehill Guineas with Laser Hawk
- Good winning strike rate having won three of their six starts
- Has run and won over the mile before with the Group 3 Spring Stakes at Newcastle last September
- Undefeated second-up
- Has ability to lead all-the-way from the gate
No – Proisir Won’t be the 2013 Randwick Guineas Winner
- Needs to improve to beat #7 Rebel Dane (2.80) who was second to their third in the Hobartville Stakes last start
- Could be better for a Place Bet as their Place Rate (83.33%) is much higher than their 50% Win Rate
- Yet to race at Warwick Farm
Think Proisir has what it takes to win their maiden Group 1 on the weekend? Get behind them, or any of their rivals, online now at the guaranteed best price with bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 Bonus Welcome Bet Offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.