Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They have won four of their five stars, only just went down to Pierro last start, have the inside alley and are the market mover but can 2013 Randwick Guineas betting favourite Rebel Dane get the job done at Warwick Farm on Saturday?
There are 13 three-year-olds engaged in this year’s edition of the $500,000 Group 1 Royal Randwick Guineas (1600m), set to run as Warwick Farm Race 6 at 4:10pm (AEST), and it is the Gary Portelli-trained Rebel Dane topping the markets.
Installed at the top of the Randwick Guineas odds at $2.80 having been backed in from $2.90, the California Dane colt is a Group 2 winner in Sydney having taken out the Royal Sovereign Stakes first-up last month.
They backed up a fortnight later and caught the eye when going down by a mere short half-head behind Gai Waterhouse’s three time Group 1 winner Lonhro in the Hobartville Stakes in the wet.
Rebel Dane will now step up to the mile for the first time in the Randwick Guineas benefiting from the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival classic being held at their home track at Warwick Farm while Randwick undergoes renovations.
“This will be the first time I’ve gone into a Group 1 race with what I really think is a Group 1 horse,” Portelli said.
“It’s the first time I’m going to the races with a serious horse, and I don’t feel nervous.
“It’s now up to the jockey (Jason Collett) to make sure he doesn’t get hampered at any stage (from barrier one).
“It’s a bit like a football coach who has good players. Good players know what to do. Good horses make us trainers, jockeys and owners look good.
“He’s still learning his trade, but he’s exciting, and doesn’t know how to lie down.”
Portelli and the bookies may be confident but is Rebel Dane really the one to back in the Randwick Guineas betting markets this weekend?
#7 Rebel Dane – Horse Form
- Barrier: 1
- Jockey: Jason Collett
- Trainer: Gary Portelli
- Owners: Laurel Oak Bloodstock Pty Ltd, Mr J V Murphy, Lanista Thoroughbreds, Mr P M Kite, Mr M W Powell, Mr C J Baker, Pardon, Mr S J Lindley, Mr R H Spee, Simpson-Morgan, Mr T J Gleeson, Mr N A Parbery, Mr G Zivkovic
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by California Dane from Texarcana
- Career: 5-4-1-0
- Win: 80%
- Place: 100%
- Last 6: 111×12
- Prize Money: $314,080
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 Randwick Guineas Odds: $2.80
Why Rebel Dane Will be the 2013 Randwick Guineas Winner
- Gets their chance from the inside alley
- Regular rider Jason Collett stays on and knows the horse well
- Their Group 2 Royal Sovereign Stakes win was good
- Last start second to a champion would have lost them few fans
- Will improve on that if the track stays dry at Warwick Farm
- Has handled everything thrown at them so far
- Locally-trained so while no official start at the track have done plenty of work here and that’s a huge advantage at Warwick Farm
- Boasts equal best Place Rate (100%) and third best Win Rate (80%)
- Only lost one of their five starts and that was by a narrow margin
- Market mover having been backed in from $2.90 to $2.80
Why Rebel Dane Won’t Win Randwick Guineas 2013
- Could run out of room from barrier one – needs to stay out of trouble
- Yet to see the track or distance under race conditions
- Will the 1600m see them struggle?
Whether you’re backing or sacking the Randwick Guineas favourite this year make sure you get your selections at the best prices online at bookmaker.com.au where punters also have access to exclusive Pick Your Own Odds markets on all the metro majors!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.