Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
One of the four single-figure fancies in this weekend’s Chipping Norton Stakes 2013 is the Gai Waterhouse-trained Rosehill Guineas winner Laser Hawk who is out to improve on a failed first-up run for the autumn.
The now four-year-old Artie Schiller gelding was in flying form last Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival winning the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) third-up on the back of a brave third to super filly Mosheen in the Randwick Guineas over the mile.
He backed up from his big Group 1 success in the coveted Australian Derby and was again very competitive seeing the mile and half for the first time when third to upset winner Ethiopia.
A number of setbacks were to follow however which saw Waterhouse keep them in the paddock for the next 10 and a half months, Laser Hawk only making their new season return at Warwick Farm two weeks ago.
They jumped one of the short priced chances in the Group 2 Apollo Stakes (1400m) but from barrier 10 (of 12) on a bog Heavy (9) track they could only manage to finish 10 lengths away eighth to Alma’s Fury.
Laser Hawk will get their chance to atone for that disappointing effort on Saturday however when they run second-up in the $350,000 Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes where they will get back up to the mile.
It seems the bookies are willing to forgive their resuming run too with the youngster currently occupying the fourth line of Chipping Norton Stakes betting at a quote of $9.
They trail only the defending champion Shoot Out ($5), triple Group 1 winner from last autumn Manighar ($5.50) and top New Zealand mare Silent Achiever ($7.50).
So does Laser Hawk have enough improvement in them to be a competitive force on Saturday? Or will the rain come and see a repeat of the Apollo?
#7 Laser Hawk – Horse Form
- Barrier: 5
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Gooree Pastoral Company
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Artie Schiller (USA) from High Heels (AUS)
- Career: 7-4-0-2
- Win: 57.14%
- Place: 85.71%
- Last 6: 1313×8
- Prize Money: $571, 600
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-0-1
- Current 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes Odds: $9
Why Laser Hawk Can Score an Upset 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes Result
- Have drawn perfectly in barrier five which produced last year’s winner Shoot Out so no excuses with the gate
- Barriers 4 – 6 are also the most successful in the race’s history
- Regular rider Nash Rawiller stays on
- If the rain stays away they will relish a firmer track than they had in the Apollo
- Is a Group 1 winner in Sydney last autumn
- 1600m will suit better than the 1400m first-up as they have winning form up to 2000m
- Awesome winning strike rate of 57.14% which is the highest of the field
- Also boasts the best place percentage with a tidy 85.71%
Why Laser Hawk Won’t be the Chipping Norton Stakes Winner in 2013
- Plenty of these same horses beat them in the Apollo last start (but is that form worth looking at with the wet track?)
- Faces some really nice types here including the favourite #3 Shoot Out ($5)
If you fancy Laser Hawk either for the win or to add into your exotic Chipping Norton Stakes bet this year head over to our No. 1 recommended bookie bookmaker.com.au who have all the autumn markets you’re after as well as a $400 Bonus Welcome Bet Offer running that rivals all of their competitors!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.