Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the Melbourne majors running at the famed Flemington Racecourse this Saturday will be the 2013 Newmarket Handicap– betting tips and exotic selections straight from the expert team of tipsters at Races.com.au for which are detailed below.
Due to jump at 3:15pm (AEST) as Flemington Race 6 the $1 million Group 1 Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m), won last year by ace sprinter Hay List and the previous season by the world’s best mare Black Caviar, has drawn 14 hopefuls for its latest edition.
Topping the Newmarket Handicap betting markets as the pronounced favourite is Moment Of Change, Peter Moody’s Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner after their second Group 1 victory.
The promising Barley A Moment four-year-old caught the eye first-up when carrying a hefty 58.5kg to a courageous second behind Black Caviar in the Lightning Stakes down the 1000m at Flemington.
Other single-figure chances in the latest Newmarket Handicap odds then include undefeated WA sprinter Barakey ($6) who was scratched from the barriers in the Oakleigh, untapped young Queensland colt Better Than Ready ($6.50) and another Perth Group 1 winner in Luckygray ($7.50).
So are the shorties in the market the ones to back this Newmarket Handicap Day?
Or is there a boilover on the cards with a juicily priced contender such as globetrotting mare Ortensia ($15) or Oakleigh Plate third placed Spirit Of Boom ($17) capable of an upset?
#2 Moment Of Change ($2.70)
- Ace mid-field draw (7)
- Moody has won this race twice in the past three seasons with Wanted (2010) and Black Caviar (2011) who both also drew barrier seven
- Luke Nolen in the saddle who won with both of the above horses
- Second best Place Rate of the field (90%) and a nice 50% Win Rate too
- Come off the right race (2nd to Black Caviar in the Lightning) running better than their $20 price
- Lightning Stakes has produced seven of the past eight Newmarket winners, all seven runners finishing top two in the lead-up run
- Is a Group 1 winner (Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes)
- Right weight with 56.5kg as only one horse since 2006 carried less than 56kg to victory (Wanted with 51.5kg in 2010)
- Right price too with favourites boasting an outstanding recent record in the race with six wins in the past nine years including the past two in Hay List (2012) and Black Caviar (2011)
#5 Barakey ($6)
- Yet to taste defeat with 11 wins from as many starts
- 100% win and place rate (obviously)
- Group 1 winner last start over the 1200m in the Winterbottom back home in Perth
- Beat some nice interstate horses there including fellow Newmarket hopeful Spirit Of Boom (3rd)
- WA horses have a good record in this race including last year’s winner Hay List who was previously prepared in Perth by Barakey’s trainer Jim Taylor
- Two wins from two starts over this distance
- Missing the Oakleigh was crucial however and rules them out of the win for us
#6 Spirit Of Boom ($17)
- Talented Queensland galloper over the odds for us
- Was third first-up in the Oakleigh Plate last start and will have improved on that run
- Third also to the short fancy Barakey in the Winterbottom Stakes in Perth last November
- Barakey is $6 to win on Saturday while Spirit Of Boom is double figures despite having gone down by just over a half-length to them there
- Always thereabouts and has run top four in plenty of Group features in Melbourne and back home in Brisbane
Whether you’re backing or sacking our Newmarket Handicap 2013 tips make sure you lock in your picks at the best possible price by betting online at bookmaker.com.au where you will be instantly rewarded with a bonus bet valued up to $400 as a first-time depositing player that quotes the promo code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.