The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
This Saturday last autumn’s star weight-for-age performer Manighar will return to racing in the Chipping Norton Stakes 2013 at Warwick Farm but is Peter Moody’s ace import ready to get back in the winners’ stall?
Formerly prepared by Luca Cumani the ex-English galloper was an autumn revelation for Moody last season winning an historic treble when becoming the first horse to secure the Group 1 Australian Cup – Ranvet Stakes – The BMW triple.
They looked on track for a similarly sensational spring when a devastatingly close first-up second to former Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed in the Group 2 Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington.
Things went amiss however when a knee injury saw them finish a disappointing sixth to Ocean Park in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes and subsequently spelled.
Reportedly back to full fitness Manighar races for the first time since this weekend in the $350,000 Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m), the punters getting behind them as the close $5.50 second pick behind defending champ Shoot Out ($5).
But with a wide barrier 14 of 14 draw to overcome can Manighar continue their good first-up form with their fourth Group 1 triumph here?
#1 Manighar – Horse Form
- Barrier: 14
- Jockey: Joshua Parr
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: O T I Manighar, Carson Joel, Mr J C Higgins, Uthmeyer Racing, Hon. E I Mack, Gurners Bloodstock Co, Mrs D M Tricarico, EST D C Christensen, Mr A Karoll, Glenlogan Park
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Linamix (FR) from Mintly Fresh (USA)
- Career: 31-10-6-5
- Win: 32.26%
- Place: 67.74%
- Last 6: 23x26x
- Prize Money: $3,565,918
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-1-0
- Current 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes Odds: $5.50
Why Manighar Can Win the Chipping Norton Stakes 2013
- Was the best weight-for-age performer last autumn winning an historic Group 1 hat-trick
- If they can perform like they did last season then could prove the one to beat here
- Awesome first-up record (5-2-2-1) and resume racing in this
- Nice record over the mile with a win and a second from two starts over the 1600m including the Group 3 Carlyon Cup first-up at Caulfield last February
- Highest earner here with over $3.56 million in prize money to their name
Why Manighar Won’t be the 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes Winner
- Haven’t raced since September’s knee injury and where they are at fitness-wise is a bit of an unknown
- Has drawn wide with barrier 14 meaning they have work to do
- Have never won from wider than gate nine
- Haven’t won a race since The BMW nearly 12 months ago
- Faces a field full of quality rivals many which hold the fitness edge over them including #13 Silent Achiever ($7.50)
- Yet to race at Warwick Farm Racecourse
- Regular rider and stable ace Luke Nolen is riding in Melbourne meaning a jockey change is on the cards with the lesser-known Josh Parr in the saddle
- Is getting on in age as a rising eight-year-old, are they past their peak?
- Looks better for a Place Bet with a nice place percentage of 67.74% as opposed to their 32.26% win rate
Think Manighar will be back to their best in the Chipping Norton and able to hold off the six-horse charge from Waller?
Back them now at the guaranteed best prices online at bookmaker.com.au where all first-time depositing players are eligible for a free bet valued at up to $400!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.