As one of the autumn’s premier weight-for-age races, the Group 1 2013 Australian Cup (2000m) is always hotly anticipated.
The good news is the countdown is nearly over, with a quality field set to line up in the $1 million event at Flemington on Saturday.
Current favourite to win the Australian Cup is Melbourne Cup winner Green Moon ($3.80) who will attempt to add another big feature race to his impressive resume.
Market mover and occupying the second line of betting is Super Cool, who has been backed in from $5.40 to $4.40.
Mr Moet ($5.50) has been in terrific form this year while Fiveandahalfstar ($8) will be out to turn the tables on Super Cool after running second in the Autumn Classic.
Others in the market include German import Mawingo ($10), gutsy front-runner Glass Harmonium ($11) and Peter Young Stakes winner Foreteller ($13).
Not sure about this exciting Group 1 feature? Need some help? Keep reading as the Races.com.au team have been hard at work to bring you our very best Australian Cup tips.
#1 Green Moon $3.80
- Deserving favourite – best horse in the field
- Dual Group 1 winner at the track, including once at the distance
- Four-time winner over the 2000m distance
- Will improve from first-up fourth in Futurity Stakes
- Generally runs well second-up
- Combines with his Melbourne Cup-winning rider Brett Prebble
#12 Fiveandahalfstar $8
- Steps up to a more suitable distance
- In form, two runner-up finishes to begin campaign
- Likely to become more of a “staying test” than previous runs, playing into Fiveandahalfstar’s favour
- Won the Victoria Derby at the track
- Well drawn in barrier 4
- With 54.5kg, has weight advantage over all but fellow three-year-old Super Cool
#6 Mawingo $10
- Group 1 winner at the distance
- Finished half-length off All Too Hard first-up
- Form suggests flat run second-up before a good third-up run, forgive Peter Young fourth
- Has won at the track