Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
As part of the exciting racing action of Newmarket Handicap Day at Flemington Racecourse this Saturday a field of promising three-year-old fillies will face off in the A.V. Kewney Stakes 2013– betting tips and predictions for which are listed right here for Races.com.au readers.
Running as Flemington Race 5 at 2:35pm (AEST) this year’s $220,000 Kewney Stakes (1400m) features a field of 13 hopefuls but there’s only one the punters want, Flight Stakes winner Norzita.
The Bart Cummings-trained daughter of Thorn Park dominates the Kewney Stakes betting markets at an odds-on quote of $1.75 having resumed racing a fortnight ago with a tidy win in the Listed Typhoon Tracy Stakes (1200m) at the Valley.
An upset looks unlikely too based on the Kewney Stakes odds with just two of her rivals under $10 with Peter Moody’s all-the-way Angus Armanasco Stakes winner Meliora ($7) and the Robert Smerdon-trained Armanasco runner-up Members Joy ($9).
So will Norzita salute as the shortie in the fifth on Saturday? Or will favourite backers be in for a shock with boilover from another up-and-coming filly?
#1 Norzita ($1.75)
- Odds-on favourite for a reason and only the brave will bet against here
- Ideally drawn in barrier three which should give her a gun run
- Undefeated second-up having broken her maiden status in Sydney last time two runs in
- Group 1 winner so the classiest here for sure, did that Flight Stakes win over the mile easy too
- Comes off a resuming win in Melbourne which was another cruisy victory
- Best Win & Place rate of the field with an impressive 71%
#2 Members Joy ($9)
- Consistent Hussonet filly looking for her big break
- Three runs in here so has fitness on her side
- Second in the Kevin Hayes Stakes two back before second to Meliora in the Angus Armanasco
- Was beaten by a decent margin there but think with their nice draw in this (barrier four) they can get the better of their last start conqueror
- Glen Boss stays on and at Flemington they’ve got a nice record (2-1-1-0) having won a Listed sprint here last September
- Also caught the eye here when defeated a mere short half-head in the Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes (1610m) last October from barrier 12 (of 16)
#3 Meliora ($7)
- Was very impressive last start when running away with the Angus Armanasco putting 3.5 lengths on Members Joy
- That was from barrier two however where she easily got to the front and this time she must overcome barrier 10
- She finds the front from that gate she’s a winning chance but think the barrier might get the better of her here
- Was fourth the run before that in the Kevin Hayes Stakes from barrier nine where Members Joy was a narrow second
Roughie We Like
#9 Red Fez ($14)
- Won opening two career starts out of town in the summer before traveling to Caulfield last start
- Was four lengths away third in the Angus Armanasco in a brave run
- Should improve on that having now seen the big city and the 1400m
Lock in our insider Kewney Stakes tips or your own Flemington betting selections at the hottest autumn racing odds online now at bookmaker.com.au and be instantly rewarded with a $400 bonus welcome bet as a first-time customer that deposits and quotes the limited-time-only promo code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.