A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
One of the spruik horses in this Saturday’s 2013 Newmarket Handicap field at Flemington is Kelly Schweida’s young Brisbane colt Better Than Ready, but how will the three-year-old handle their big Group 1 assignment in Melbourne?
Money has steadily been coming in for the son of More Than Ready for their Victorian and Group race debut in the $1 million Group 1 Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m), Better Than Ready currently sitting as the $6.50 third favourite in the bookmaker.com.au markets.
Drawn one outside the favourite Moment Of Change ($2.70) in barrier eight with ace hoop Craig Williams booked for the ride the exciting up-and-comer is a 50.5kg lightweight in the Newmarket and was last seen running away with a three length victory in the Listed Falvelon Handicap (1200m) at Eagle Farm.
They trialed well in Melbourne on Tuesday in an 800m jump-out ticking another box ahead of their Newmarket acid test.
“What the trial showed, and don’t forget there were only three in it, is that he handled the straight track and had recovered from his trip down and settled in well since he arrived last Thursday,” Schweida said.
“It just means he’s ticked another box on his way to Saturday’s race.
“He’s ended up having a good preparation for a race like this. He’s had two runs back; his third or fourth run should be his peak.”
But going up against a field full of Group 1 winners on one of the biggest days of the Melbourne Festival of Racing at just their ninth career start is an imposing task, so can Better Than Ready score an upset Newmarket Handicap 2013 result?
#13 Better Than Ready – Horse Form
- Barrier: 8
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Kelly Schweida
- Owners: Goldstar Thoroughbreds, Mr J D Maclean, Mr S Duselis, Mr R J Zuttion, Mr C R Frampton, Mr D P Tynan, Mr B P Tobin, Mr A Salpietro, Mr M A Tobin
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by More Than Ready (USA) from Sally’s World (AUS)
- Career: 8-5-1-1
- Win: 62.50%
- Place: 87.50%
- Last 6: 311×21
- Prize Money: $239,000
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 4-2-0-1
- Current 2013 Newmarket Handicap Odds: $6.50
Why Better Than Ready Can Win the Newmarket Handicap 2013
- Has a nice mid-field draw which gives ace hoop Craig Williams options
- Comes off a blistering all-the-way victory by three lengths in a Brisbane black-type a fortnight ago which was an excellent effort over this distance
- Also won a Listed race at Randwick over the 1200m during the spring giving them a nice record over the distance
- Get a huge weight relief here set to carry just 50.5kg meeting the topweight #1 Luckgray 7.5kg better off
- Consistent record so far with five wins from eight starts giving them the third best Win Rate of the field with 62.5% trailing only #5 Barakey (100%) and #1 Luckygray (66.67%)
- Also has an impressive Place percentage of 87.50% which is third only to #5 Barakey (100%) and the favourite #2 Moment Of Change (90.00%)
- Three-year-olds have a credible record in the race having won nine times in the past 30 years including Weekend Hussler (2008), Schillaci (1992) and Placid Ark (1987)
Why Better Than Ready Won’t Take Out the 2013 Newmarket Handicap
- Yet to race in Group company let alone in a Group 1 feature
- Hasn’t raced in Melbourne before and how they go down the Flemington straight will be crucial
- While on paper a 50.5kg lightweight looks advantageous, horses carrying 56.5kg or more have dominated the Newmarket Handicap over the years
- The only to carry less than 56kg since 2006 was Wanted (51.5kg in 2010)
Think Better Than Ready is worth backing in the Newmarket this weekend? Make sure you lock them in at the guaranteed best prices by betting online with bookmaker.com.au – home of the country’s best range of Fixed Win horse racing odds all autumn.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.