He’s already won Australia’s biggest race but can Melbourne Cup winner Green Moon cement his position as one of the top gallopers in the country by winning the Group 1 $1 million 2013 Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington on Saturday?
The import has received plenty of support in betting and is a $3.80 favourite to claim his third Group 1 victory in a quality 13-horse field.
Green Moon is a proven Flemington performer and competing at his most favourable distance but will the rigours of a tough spring campaign begin to show this autumn?
Not sure about the Australian Cup favourite? Keep reading for the key stats and the pros and cons as to whether Green Moon will again rise in a Flemington feature race.
Green Moon – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 9
- Jockey: Brett Prebble
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: NC Williams, Mr and Mrs LJ Williams
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Montjeu (USA) out of Green Noon (AUS)
- Career: 21-7-3-0
- Win: 33%
- Place: 14%
- Last 6: 521714
- Prize Money: $5.01 million
- Track: 6-3-1-0
- Distance: 6-4-1-0
- Current 2013 Australian Cup Odds: $3.80
Why Green Moon Can Win the 2013 Australian Cup
- Proven Group 1 winner
- Has won three times from six starts at the track
- Has won four times from six starts at the distance
- Melbourne Cup-winning combination with jockey Brett Prebble
- Will improve from first-up fourth in Futurity Stakes
Why Green Moon Can’t Win the 2013 Australian Cup
- Often hard to back up from a long and tough spring campaign
- Yet to win a big race under weight-for-age conditions
Think Green Moon will be too strong? Fancy another runner? Whoever you are backing, give yourself access to great odds by betting at bookmaker.com.au.
Quote the code BONUSBET when joining to give your Australian Cup betting a huge boost with their $400 bonus bet offer!