This Saturday Peter Moody will vie for his third Newmarket Handicap success in the past four seasons saddling up the top fancy Moment Of Change, but can the progressive sprinter continue the good recent run of favourites and salute for his trainer and the punters?
Set to run as Flemington Race 6 at 3:15pm (AEST) the $1 million Group 1 Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m) has this year drawn a final field of 14 exciting gallopers, over half of which already boast an elite level win.
One of those previous Group 1 winners is Moody’s Barley A Moment four-year-old Moment Of Change who won the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes last September.
They resumed racing on February 16 and put in a huge run to cross 2.5 lengths off their superstar stablemate Black Caviar as a $20 roughie in the Lightning Stakes (1000m) down the Flemington straight.
Without Black Caviar in the Newmarket mix this weekend it is Moment Of Change the punters are backing to win, the gelding paying $2.70 in the latest bookmaker.com.au markets.
But can they get the job done and become the third favourite in as many years to win?
Or will one of their also well-fancied rivals such as Group 1 winning Perth raiders Barakey ($6) and Luckygray ($7.50) score an upset?
#2 Moment Of Change – Horse Form
- Barrier: 7
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: Slade Moment, Mr J M Barnett, M J W, Mr H D J Sonnenberg, D T K, Mr G Neradovsky, Mr A Davis, Mr R Peck, Mr R K Cook, Mr A Kheir
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Barley A Moment (AUS) from Metal Storm (FR) mare Europium (AUS)
- Career: 10-5-1-3
- Win: 50%
- Place: 90.00%
- Last 6: x131x2
- Prize Money: $509,888
- Track: 1-0-1-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-1
- Current 2013 Newmarket Handicap Odds: $2.70
Why Moment Of Change Can Win the Newmarket Handicap 2013
- Has drawn ideally mid-field in barrier 7
- This barrier has been a gem for trainer Moody whose previous two Newmarket winners Wanted (2010) and Black Caviar (2011) both also drew gate seven
- Will be ridden by Luke Nolen who rode both Wanted and Black Caviar to victory
- Is a Group 1 winner having taken out the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield for which Nolen was also aboard
- Outside of the undefeated #5 Barakey (100%) they boast the best Place rate of the field (90%)
- Also have a consistent 50% winning strike rate
- Their last start second to Black Caviar in the Lightning was both brave and statistically an excellent form race to come via as seven of the past eight Newmarket winners ran first or second in the Lightning in the lead-up
- Favourites have a great recent record in the Newmarket with six in the past nine years winning including the last two with Black Caviar (2011) and Hay List (2012)
- Well weighted with 56.5kg too as the only Newamrekt winner to carry less than 56kg since 2006 was Wanted (51.5kg in 2010)
Why Moment Of Change Will be Beaten in the 2013 Newmarket Handicap Results
- There are a few unknowns in this race with Barakey making their interstate debut
- Also their second-up record (3-1-0-2) suggests they may be better for a Place bet?
Whether you’re backing or sacking the Newmarket favourite you’ll get the guaranteed best prices on all the Flemington races online at bookmaker.com.au where first-time punters are being instantly rewarded with bonus bets valued up to $400!