Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
After suffering a setback having been scratched at the gates of the Oakleigh Plate a fortnight ago, undefeated WA speedster Barakey is back in a Melbourne Group 1 this Saturday looking to take out the Newmarket Handicap 2013 at Flemington Racecourse.
Jim Taylor’s ace Perth sprinter has continued to rise through the ranks back home winning all 11 of their career starts to date, most recently joining the Group 1 winners list with a victory in the Winterbottom Stakes at Ascot on November 24.
The Key Business five-year-old was to race interstate for the first time on Blue Diamond Day in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) but after playing up in the gates the gelding hit his head and had to be scratched.
It was a disappointing result for Taylor and connections but the horse gets their chance to atone this weekend when they line-up in the $1 million Group 1 Lexus Newmarket Handicap (1200m).
In the latest Newmarket Handicap betting markets Barakey is the $6 second favourite behind Peter Moody’s Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner Moment Of Change ($2.70) coming off a nice second to Black Caviar in the Lightning Stakes.
So is Barakey in with a chance this weekend? Or will they go down for the first time tainting their current flawless record?
#5 Barakey – Horse Form
- Barrier: 13
- Jockey: Jason Brown
- Trainer: Jim Taylor
- Owners: Mr T Zeppos, Mr A Mihalopoulos
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Key Business
- Career: 11-11-0-0
- Win: 100%
- Place: 100%
- Last 6: 1x111x
- Prize Money: $686,900
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 2-2-0-0
- Current 2013 Newmarket Handicap Odds: $6
Yes – Barakey Can Win the Newmarket Handicap 2013
- Is undefeated to date boasting a perfect 11 from 11 record meaning they boast the best win and place rates of the field with 100%
- Last start took out a Group 1 back home over this distance beating a decent field that included some horses from Sydney such as fellow Newmarket hopeful Spirit Of boom (3rd)
- Trainer Jim Taylor knows how to train a sprint star having been the man originally in charge of Hay List who won this race setting a weight carrying record last year
- WA horses (including Hay List) have a nice record in the Newmarket Handicap
- Also undefeated over the distance with two wins from as many attempts over the 1200m including their Group 1 Winterbottom victory
No – Barakey Won’t be the 2013 Newmarket Handicap Winner
- Has drawn awkwardly wide for the 1200m sprint with barrier 13
- Jockey Jason Brown may be familiar with the horse but how will the hoop handle the big race day pressure at Flemington?
- The favourite #2 Moment Of Change ($2.70) really does look hard to beat
- Barakey races first-up here and the last Newmarket Handicap winner coming off a spell was Polycrates way back in 1917
- Yet to race at Flemington, or officially in Melbourne at all
Think you’ve read enough to warrant an Each Way bet on Barakey to get the better of his rivals in the Newmarket on Saturday?
Head along to our favourite online bookie bookmaker.com.au today and access all the hottest Melbourne Festival of Racing markets including the odds for Saturday’s races.
Don’t have a bookmaker.com.au account? It takes only two minutes to join the online betting revolution and when you do make sure you quote the code BONUSBET to unlock your $400 bonus welcome bet!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.