Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
It’s rare that the third favourite in a major Group 1 race is at $21 but that is exactly the case in the Group 1 2013 Australian Guineas (1600m) with Mick Kent’s raw colt Philippi.
With All Too Hard dominating betting and considered a sure thing at $1.28, there are some big odds available to brave punters who want to take on the superstar.
The lightly-raced Philippi is stepping up to Group 1 level for the first time but has had plenty of hype about him since going through his debut campaign in the spring with three unbeaten starts.
That streak ended first-up two weeks ago when he was fourth in the CS Hayes Stakes but he is likely to take improvement out of that and appreciate the rise in distance this weekend.
So has the rise in class come too quickly for this emerging galloper? Or can he knock off some more experienced rivals including All Too Hard? Keep reading as we have compiled some important statistics as well as the pros and cons about Philippi’s Australian Guineas hopes.
#4 Philippi– Horse Facts
- Barrier: 6
- Jockey: Brad Rawiller
- Trainer: Michael Kent
- Owner: Gilgai Farm Synd (MGR: RR Jamieson)
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Host out of Soorena
- Career: 4-3-0-0
- Win: 75%
- Place: 0%
- Last 6: 1114
- Prize Money: $138,250
- Track: 2-1-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 Australian Guineas Odds: $21
Why Philippi Can Win the 2013 Australian Guineas
- Raw talent
- Has a strong winning strike rate with three wins from four starts
- Won over 1500m and 1800m so distance will suit
- Will improve off first-up fourth over 1400m
- Favourable barrier six draw
Why Philippi Can’t Win the 2013 Australian Guineas
- Has the Group 1 test come too soon?
- Still unproven against top class horses
- Finished behind three of his Australian Guineas rivals first-up
- All Too Hard will be extremely difficult to overcome
Like Philippi? All Too Hard? Albrecht? Another horse? Whoever you are backing, do so at great odds by betting with bookmaker.com.au!
The time is right to sign up at the Australian-owned bookie as they are currently offering a $400 bonus bet to new customers!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.