Globetrotting mare Ortensia returns for her first race on Australian soil since the 2011 Winterbottom Stakes and she faces the tough ask of carrying 58kg in the Group 1 2013 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) on Saturday.
The seven-year-old was a genuine success story in her gruelling overseas campaign last year, winning the Group 1 Al Quoz Sprint in Dubai and the Group 1 Nunthorphe Stakes.
There’s no denying the Testa Rossa mare’s talent but could a first-up run with 58kg be too tough an ask?
Or will she add a fourth Group 1 title to her impressive resume of 13 wins from 35 starts?
Keep reading for some key Ortensia stats as well as the pros and cons about backing the mare in the Oakleigh Plate this weekend.
#1 Ortensia – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 4
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Paul Messara
- Owners: AD Fraser, Ms A Fraser and Miss EJ Ridley
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Testa Rossa out of Aerate’s Pick
- Career: 35-13-3-4
- Win: 37%
- Place: 27%
- Last 6: 19411X
- Prize Money: $2.48 million
- Track: 4-2-0-1
- Distance: 3-1-0-0
- Current 2013 Oakleigh Plate Odds: $6
Why Ortensia Can Win The 2013 Oakleigh Plate
- Proven Group 1 winner
- Has won twice at the track
- Has won at distance
- Plum barrier four draw with top jockey Craig Williams aboard
Why Ortensia Can’t Win The 2013 Oakleigh Plate
- Has to carry a hefty 58kg
- First-up since September after gruelling international campaign and travel
- Now seven, can she come back at her best?
Whether you think Ortensia can carry the 58kg to victory or not, ensure you are getting access to great odds by betting at bookmaker.com.au!
The Australian-owned bookie is preferred by Races.com.au for their great value odds and huge $400 bonus bet offer for new customers!