Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
There are just three juveniles at single figure odds to win the richest Melbourne Festival of Racing’s two-year-olds race this weekend, the longest priced of those being Metastasio who is out to score an upset 2013 Blue Diamond Stakes result.
Running as Caulfield Race 7 on Saturday this year’s $1 million Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) looks to be dominated by the fillies with the top three fancies all looking to go back-to-back for the ladies following the Blue Diamond win by Samaready 12 months ago.
Topping the Blue Diamond Stakes odds is unbeaten Adelaide filly Miracles Of Life ($3) followed closely by Peter Snowden’s Blue Diamond Prelude winner Guelph ($3.30) who are drawn at opposite ends of the field in gates one and 13 (into 12) respectively.
Occupying the third line of Blue Diamond Stakes betting is then the Darley-owned daughter of Street Cry Metastasio who, like Miracles Of Life, is also yet to taste defeat.
After debuting with a tidy 2.5 length win at Flemington last month she returned a fortnight later to score an easy 3 length victory over a field full of Blue Diamond hopefuls in the Listed Chairman’s Stakes (1100m).
Despite that nice effort the bookies aren’t ranking that form over the official Blue Diamond lead-ups, but can Metastasio prove them wrong with an upset on Saturday?
#9 Metastasio – Horse Form
- Barrier: 12 (into 11)
- Jockey: Glen Boss
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Owners: Sheikh Mohammed (Darley)
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by Street Cry (IRE) out of Singspiel (IRE) mare Libretto (IRE)
- Career: 2-2-0-0
- Win: 100%
- Place: 100%
- Last 6: 22
- Prize Money: $120,500
- Track: 1-1-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2013 Blue Diamond Stakes Odds: $6.50
Why Metastasio Can Score an Upset 2013 Blue Diamond Stakes Result
- Is undefeated with two big wins to her name from as many starts
- Blitzed fellow Blue Diamond rivals including Koina Breeze (2nd), Shamus Award (3rd) and I Am Titanium (4th) last start in the Listed Chairman’s Stakes (1100m)
- Only has to step up 100m here and the win at the track is advantageous
- Also looks good on paper being a last-start winner going into the Diamond with 21 of the past 30 winners having come off a win
- Top hoop aboard in Glen Boss
Why Metastasio Won’t be the Blue Diamond Stakes 2013 Winner
- Has a wide double-digit gate to overcome making her run to the line a tough one and historically barriers 1 – 5 are the most successful producing 13 of the past 22 winners
- Jockey at her past two starts Kerrin McEvoy is on stablemate Guelph meaning connections believe they are a better shot than Metastasio here
- Needs to beat her better fancied stablemate who is in this race to win
Read enough to suggest a sneaky bet on Metastasio could prove nice value this Blue Diamond Day?
Head along to our preferred online betting agency bookmaker.com.au now and get behind her, or any other Blue Diamond runner, at the best prices in the country enjoying a $400 bonus bet upon sign-up! Conditions apply.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.