This Saturday the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival action heats up at Warwick Farm with the running of the 2013 Apollo Stakes– betting tips and our insider selections for which are detailed below.
Set to run as Race 6 at 3:40pm the $250,000 Group 2 Apollo Stakes (1400m) is shaping up as a crack showdown between many proven Group 1 champions, many of which are resuming racing ahead of the autumn majors.
Topping the Apollo Stakes odds at a quote of $3.80 is Gai Waterhouse’s 2013 The BMW-bound Glencadam Gold who races for the first time since their brave Melbourne Cup sixth.
Glencadam Gold, drawn nicely in gate two with Tommy Berry staying on, is followed by a number of other classy gallopers including reigning Chipping Norton Stakes winner Shoot Out ($4.60), two fellow Chris Waller-trained runners in veteran nine-year-old Danleigh ($7) and up-and-coming three-year-old Tougher Than Ever ($7), and Waterhouse’s returning Rosehill Guineas champ Laser Hawk ($7.50).
So is the Races.com.au crew sticking with the favourite here? Or do we think one of Waller’s six starters can upset Waterhouse’s top pick?
#1 Shoot Out ($4.60)
- First-up here off a Cox Plate fifth and record when resuming is imposing (6-3-0-1)
- Won the Group 1 George Main Stakes over the mile first-up last campaign
- Has a good record over the distance (8-2-3-1)
- Was second in this race 12 months ago two runs in and for us are the horse to beat this year
- Four time Group 1 winner so has class
- Also won the Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes by two lengths last autumn in their only previous run at Warwick Farm
#5 Laser Hawk ($7.50)
- Yet to finish out of the money with four wins and two starts from six starts
- Is only lightly-raced with so a long way to go
- Wide barrier 11 but is undefeated first-up (2-2-0-0) and resumes here
- A Group 1 winner in Sydney last autumn in the Rosehill Guineas having also run third in both the Randwick Guineas and Australian Derby
- Full recovery from injury and have been working well in the lead-up to this
#4 Glencadam Gold ($3.80)
- No doubting the class of the favourite but think they will be better one run in
- Their first-up record is good (4-1-2-0) but they’ve never seen this track or distance with their shortest run to date being over 1550m when debuting down under at Canterbury last August – they did win that however
- Will be more competitive when they get up to 2000m and over
Roughie We Like
#6 Kelinni ($21)
- This galloper is a classy stayer but they will be looking for longer
- That said over this distance they’ve had two starts for a win and a second so don’t discount them completely
- Resume off an excellent Melbourne Cup fourth and their first-up record (4-1-1-0) isn’t bad
- Also undefeated at the track (2-2-0-0)
- Boast an awesome Win & Place rate of 74% – one of the best in this field
- Will get a gun run from gate two
Whether you’re backing or sacking our Apollo Stakes betting selections you will get the guaranteed best prices on your picks online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change