Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday at Caulfield’s Blue Diamond Stakes Day the three-year-old fillies heading towards some of the autumn’s bigger features will face off in the 2013 Angus Armanasco Stakes– betting selections and tips for which are detailed below.
Jumping as Caulfield Race 3 at 1:20pm (AEST) the $220,000 Group 2 D’Urban Angus Armanasco Stakes (1400m) features a small seven-filly field this year with the bookmaker.com.au markets clearly led by Members Joy ($2.90).
Robert Smerdon’s progressive local Hussonet filly is third-up for the season following two progressive runs, the most recent an extremely close second when just nudged out by Octavia in the Listed Kevin Hayes Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield.
Set to appreciate the step up in distance here Members Joy is the deserved favourite and vies for her first Group win after just missing out at Flemington during the spring when a short half-head off Maybe Discreet in the Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes over the mile.
It is a wide open race however with all but one of her six rivals under $10 in the markets including the $3.70 second pick Red Fez out to retain her undefeated status following wins at Ballarat and Sandown this summer, and the Michael Kent-trained Summer Gem ($7) out to improve on her Kevin Hayes seventh.
So can Members Joy get the job done for the punters or will there be an upset Angus Armanasco Stakes result in 2013 from another longer-priced hopeful such as last start Bendigo winner Hamam on the rails after their third win on the trot?
#1 Members Joy ($2.90)
- Deserved favourite who really does look the one to beat here
- Nice gate four draw in a small field with an ace hoop (Glen Boss) aboard
- Narrowly defeated at this track over 1200m last time out in the Kevin Hayes and gets an extra 200m to get the job done here
- Good form up to a mile so 1400m will suit
- Caulfield record isn’t great but this could be the race to break that track hoodoo
#3 Meliora ($7.50)
- Comes off a good fourth in the same Caulfield race Members Joy was second in in the lead-up to this
- Should have improvement off their last run putting them right in the mix
- Gets a gun alley in two with Luke Nolen riding
- Winning form up to 1300m
#4 Balaclava Lady ($7.50)
- Ignore last start fifth, they will be better for that resuming run
- Top jockey in Craig Williams has ability to get the best out of the horse
- Winner at the track and distance during the spring
- Competitive against similar class last campaign
Get your Caulfield selections this Blue Diamond Day locked in at the best price online at bookmaker.com.au and be instantly rewarded with a bonus bet valued up to $400 as a new depositing customer when you enter the code word BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.