Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The race towards the 2013 Blue Diamond Stakes at the end of the month heats up at Caulfield Racecourse on Saturday when a field of promising colts and geldings contest one of two $150,000 Group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude (1200m) races, our insider tips for which are listed below.
Jumping as CF Orr Stakes Day Race 3 at 2:00pm (AEST) the Patinack Farm Blue Diamond Prelude (Colts & Geldings) features a final field of seven hopefuls the favourite being the Peter Snowden-trained Exceed And Excel colt Kuroshio ($3.20).
It’s a tight betting market however with the punters and bookies having a hard time separating Kuroshio from the Peter Moody-trained Dissident ($3.40) who beat them home narrowly last start in the Blue Diamond Preview.
Gai Waterhouse’s nicely-bred Zizou colt Marseille Roulette is also right in the mix at $4.20 after a debut win last time out at Rosehill in the lucrative Inglis Classic.
So which of these up-and-coming youngsters do we fancy for the win? Are the shorties in the markets the ones to stick with or will there be an upset here with the likes of the well-tried Direct Charge ($11) or early market mover The Bowler ($6) who steps out for the first time.
#1 Marseille Roulette ($4.20)
- Lots to like about this one after re-watching that nice debut win over 1200m at Rosehill
- Go back in distance so will be sharp and have fitness on their side
- Craig Williams rides and Gai Waterhouse knows how to train the young guns having prepared four Golden Slipper winners
- Also should get a gun run from gate two which gives them the chance to display their ability again after they crossed from barrier 12 (of 14) to win the Inglis Classic
#3 Kuroshio ($3.20)
- Really liked the way they found the line when a narrow second in the Preview and should have improved on that
- This is race start number four so they know what to do and there’s a good chance they can return to their winning form having won on debut at Flemington in a Listed event last October
- Were also a good third to now Golden Slipper favourite Villa Verde in the Inglis Debutants Stakes at this track in their second run
- Stepping up in distance should give them an edge here
#2 Direct Charge ($11)
- Like the value in this price for the most experienced in this field
- Robbie Laing’s Charge Forward colt is bred for a big juvenile season and they showed promise of that last spring winning the Group 3 HKJC Maribyrnong Plate
- Come off a third to Marseille Roulette in the Inglis Classic over 1200m and going back to the 1100m here should see them get close again
Whether you are backing or sacking our Blue Diamond Colts & Geldings Prelude selections make sure your bets are placed online at bookmaker.com.au where you are guaranteed to get the best prices.
If you are a new depositing customer at bookmaker.com.au you are also eligible to take advantage of their exclusive $400 bonus welcome bet offer simply by quoting the code BONUSBET when prompted!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.