With an odds-on favourite, a firming second elect and a number of other livewire chances all heading towards he Blue Diamond Stakes 2013, this Saturday’s $150,000 Group 3 Patinack Farm Blue Diamond Fillies Prelude (1100m) at Caulfield Racecourse is shaping up as a beauty – our exclusive tips on the feature detailed below.
Set to run as Caulfield Race 4 at 2:35pm (AEST) the fillies’ edition of the Blue Diamond Prelude has drawn eight two-year-olds with the Peter Snowden-trained Guelph fresh off a win at Warwick Farm dominating the markets as the $1.75 odds-on favourite at bookmaker.com.au.
She is followed by two other single-figure chances with Craig Williams’ mount Montsegur ($4.20) also prepared by Snowden, and the progressive Peter Moody-trained Quest For Peace ($6) coming off a black type run against the boys when fourth to Kuroshio from last spring before the other hopefuls all blow out to over $10.
With the $1 million Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) due to run on February 23 this race could be showcasing this year’s winner and the punters will be keen to get in on the action.
So can Guelph continue her good form and live up to the hype here? Or will one of her more generously priced rivals get the better of her with some intriguing debutants at juicy odds including Le Ballerine ($19) who is prepared by last year’s winning trainer Mick Price.
#1 Guelph ($1.75)
- It was a narrow win but Guelph really was very good first-up at Warwick Farm and she will have taken improvement out of that run
- Has an awkward gate (7) but the class to overcome and if she gets a sweet run will be very hard to beat
- This is her third start as she also ran second on debut to Brilliant Bisc in the Listed Gimcrack Stakes in the spring
- Sees Melbourne for the first time but don’t expect that or the step up to 1100m to hamper her chances
#2 Montsegur ($4.20)
- Expect this to be a Darley-dominated Prelude with early market mover Montsegur to get a nice run trailing up behind their better fancied stablemate
- Winner on debut at Caulfield on Boxing Day by a tidy 3.5 lengths before bombing out when sixth in the Blue Diamond Preview
- She had a month between runs there but it’s been less than that this time so expect her to be fitter and ready to fire
- There were excuses then and she’s a better filly than that so expect her back to her best here fighting it out in the finish
#7 La Ballerine ($19)
- Juicy price for Mick Price’s debutant
- Trainer has a high opinion and seeing as Price won this race and then the Blue Diamond last year with Samaready his judgment probably shouldn’t be ignored
- Craig Newitt, last year’s winning hoop, has the ride and there’s options for them from barrier six
- Has been working well out of the public eye and could be the smokey here
Get behind our favourites or your own selections at the best CF Orr Stakes Day racing odds online at bookmaker.com.au and be instantly rewarded with a bonus $400 bet if you are a first-time depositing player that quotes the code BONUSBET this season!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change