A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
Gai Waterhouse’s Golden Slipper winner Pierro is gearing up for a big autumn return and is already dominating the markets for a number of Melbourne & Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival features including the Doncaster Mile 2013.
Set to run at Royal Randwick on Saturday April 20, the $2 million Group 1 Doncaster Mile Handicap (1600m) is one of the season’s richest and most anticipated events and this year attracted 190 nominations.
Of those 190 early hopefuls it is three-year-old Lonhro colt Pierro who is topping the futures Doncaster Mile odds at a quote of $7.50.
Last seen running a brave third to Ocean Park in the coveted Cox Plate last October, Pierro already boasts a trio of Group 1 wins he secured in his juvenile season taking out the Sydney autumn triple crown and connections are hoping they can come back and smash the autumn elite levels again this year.
Just one other runner is currently under $10 in the Doncaster Mile betting markets with the Hawkes-trained All Too Hard, a half-brother to super mare Black Caviar, paying $9.
Recently sold by the embattled Nathan Tinkler to Vinery Stallions the Casino Prince colt secured the Caulfield Guineas win over Pierro last season over this distance before beating this year’s Doncaster favourite again when a close second in the Cox Plate.
Waterhouse is dominating the Doncaster Mile markets preparing three of the other top five chances with her Choisir colt Proisir ($10), last seen running eighth in the Cox Plate, her pin-up girl More Joyous ($13) and Fat Al ($15).
More Than Ready six-year-old More Joyous is the defending Doncaster Mie winner having scored the major during her four straight winning streak last autumn in Sydney which also included Group 1 triumphs in the Queen of the Turf Stakes and the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
Al Maher four-year-old Fat Al meanwhile is out to improve on a disappointing end to their last campaign.
The Epsom Handicap winner was unable to make an impression in Melbourne during the spring when 12th to Happy Trails in the Emirates Stakes before finishing a well beaten 12th again to Mr Moet in the Railway Stakes when sent over to WA.
The other shortest priced Doncaster Mile betting chances at this stage are then:
- Silent Achiever ($17) – Roger James’ smart Kiwi mare won the NZ Derby in March last year and was competitive in her three-year-old season down under including a third in the Rosehill Guineas, was in Melbourne during the spring and won the Crystal mile before a fourth in the Matriarch Stakes at Flemington during the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
- Epaulette ($18) – Peter Snowden-trained Commands colt in sensational form last time in winning the Golden Rose second-up before their third to All Too Hard in the Caulfield Guineas two runs later
- Laser Hawk ($18) – Another Waterhouse runner out to dominate this year’s Doncaster, winner of the Rosehill Guineas after a third in the Randwick Guineas second-up last season, last seen running a brave third to Ethiopia in the Australian Derby over the mile and half
- Luckygray ($18) – Gino Poletti’s dual Group 1 winning Perth champ out for their first interstate win after taking out the Kingston Town Classic (1800m) last time out
- Manighar ($18) – Peter Moody’s European import was the star of last year’s autumn winning the Australian Cup – Ranvet Stakes – The BMW triple, failed to win during the spring but connections hopeful of a form return this season
First acceptances for the Doncaster Mile 2013 will close on Tuesday March 12.
Check out the top 21 Doncaster Mile ante-post betting fancies in the table below.
For the full markets and to get behind your early selections at their juicy futures prices head along to bookmaker.com.au and open an account with the country’s premier online bookie who will reward you with a bonus bet valued up to $400!
2013 Doncaster Mile Odds
Royal Randwick Racecourse – 20/04/2013
|ALL TOO HARD||9.00|
|MOMENT OF CHANGE||26.00|
*Fixed Win odds are Top 21 only, provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.