The first Group 2 race of the season in Victoria runs at Melbourne’s Moonee Valley Racecourse under the lights tonight with an exciting field of sprinters engaged for the 2013 Australia Stakes – betting tips and selections from the Races.com.au tipsters for which are detailed below.
Due to jump at 9:15pm (AEST) as Moonee Valley Race 6, the $220,000 Group 2 Essendon Mazda Australia Stakes (1200m) field is down to seven chances following the early withdrawal of #4 Skytrain for Peter Snowden who will run instead in Sydney’s Canterbury Classic tonight.
Snowden is still dominating the Australia Stakes odds however preparing the firming $2 favourite Pinwheel who jumps from barrier two in their first run since an excellent fourth to undefeated WA champ Barakey in the Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) at Ascot back in November.
Following Pinwheel in the Australia Stakes 2013 odds are then Mark Kavanagh’s last start Christmas Stakes winner Undeniably ($3.90) and early market mover Sea Lord ($6.50) who was runner-up to Undeniably in the Listed Boxing Day feature last time out.
So does the Races.com.au team’s Australia Stakes betting tip come from this top trio? Or are we tipping a boil-over result with an upset from the likes of a longer priced chance such as veteran galloper Outlandish Lad ($12) or Group 3 Flemington winning mare Koonoomoo ($13)?
#6 Undeniably ($3.90)
- Should get a gun run from barrier five with Michael Rodd in the saddle
- Was a devastatingly close second to Whitefriars here two years ago before skipping last year’s edition
- Suited to the tight Moonee Valley turns having won their only other start here with a big four length effort first-up in December of 2010
- Returned to form on Boxing Day with a classy win in the Listed Christmas Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield after a first-up second to stablemate Catapulted in the Doveton Stakes before that
- Should be at peak fitness third-up here
#5 Sea Lord ($6.50)
- Early market mover as the punters start to do the form and see it stacks up for this rails-drawn runner
- Moonee Valley track specialist having won all three of their starts at the track (which were also all over this distance)
- Come off a good second to our pick Undeniably in the Christmas Stakes and are set for improvement on that but meets them worse in the weights by 2kg under tonight’s WFA conditions
- Gets the run of the race from barrier one
#1 Pinwheel ($2)
- Drawn nicely in gate two in their first run
- Dropping back in class after a November Group 1 last time out
- Resuming record is excellent (6-4-1-0) and distance suits (20-9-7-2)
- Dual Group winner at weight-for-age last August at Warwick Farm
- No denying the favourite has form for this but there’s a few things ruling out of the win for us
Back our exclusive Australia Stakes selections at the hottest prices in Australia with bookmaker.com.au who are right now offering new sign-ups with a bonus bet valued at 100 percent of your initial deposit up to a generous $400!