Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The first Group 2 race of the season in Victoria runs at Melbourne’s Moonee Valley Racecourse under the lights tonight with an exciting field of sprinters engaged for the 2013 Australia Stakes – betting tips and selections from the Races.com.au tipsters for which are detailed below.
Due to jump at 9:15pm (AEST) as Moonee Valley Race 6, the $220,000 Group 2 Essendon Mazda Australia Stakes (1200m) field is down to seven chances following the early withdrawal of #4 Skytrain for Peter Snowden who will run instead in Sydney’s Canterbury Classic tonight.
Snowden is still dominating the Australia Stakes odds however preparing the firming $2 favourite Pinwheel who jumps from barrier two in their first run since an excellent fourth to undefeated WA champ Barakey in the Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) at Ascot back in November.
Following Pinwheel in the Australia Stakes 2013 odds are then Mark Kavanagh’s last start Christmas Stakes winner Undeniably ($3.90) and early market mover Sea Lord ($6.50) who was runner-up to Undeniably in the Listed Boxing Day feature last time out.
So does the Races.com.au team’s Australia Stakes betting tip come from this top trio? Or are we tipping a boil-over result with an upset from the likes of a longer priced chance such as veteran galloper Outlandish Lad ($12) or Group 3 Flemington winning mare Koonoomoo ($13)?
#6 Undeniably ($3.90)
- Should get a gun run from barrier five with Michael Rodd in the saddle
- Was a devastatingly close second to Whitefriars here two years ago before skipping last year’s edition
- Suited to the tight Moonee Valley turns having won their only other start here with a big four length effort first-up in December of 2010
- Returned to form on Boxing Day with a classy win in the Listed Christmas Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield after a first-up second to stablemate Catapulted in the Doveton Stakes before that
- Should be at peak fitness third-up here
#5 Sea Lord ($6.50)
- Early market mover as the punters start to do the form and see it stacks up for this rails-drawn runner
- Moonee Valley track specialist having won all three of their starts at the track (which were also all over this distance)
- Come off a good second to our pick Undeniably in the Christmas Stakes and are set for improvement on that but meets them worse in the weights by 2kg under tonight’s WFA conditions
- Gets the run of the race from barrier one
#1 Pinwheel ($2)
- Drawn nicely in gate two in their first run
- Dropping back in class after a November Group 1 last time out
- Resuming record is excellent (6-4-1-0) and distance suits (20-9-7-2)
- Dual Group winner at weight-for-age last August at Warwick Farm
- No denying the favourite has form for this but there’s a few things ruling out of the win for us
Back our exclusive Australia Stakes selections at the hottest prices in Australia with bookmaker.com.au who are right now offering new sign-ups with a bonus bet valued at 100 percent of your initial deposit up to a generous $400!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.