Chris Waller’s fillies dominate the nominations...
Tonight Canterbury Park in Sydney will come to life for one of the track’s few black type summer features, the Races.com.au team’s Canterbury BMW Classic 2013 betting tips detailed below.
Set to run as Canterbury Race 5 at 9:00pm (AEST) the $100,000 Listed Canterbury Classic (1100m) field is down to eight hopeful sprinters following the early scratching of the favourite #8 Sessions.
New top pick in the Canterbury BMW Classic odds is the reigning winner Unanimously ($3.60) drawn ideally in gate two who is out to continue their good record when resuming (5-3-0-0) having last raced at Moonee Valley back in August.
It’s a wide open market with five of the other runners all now under $10 in the betting including Didntcostalot ($4.40) who has a nice record over the distance and who can handle a wet track if the rain comes early, and the Peter Snowden-trained veteran Skytrain ($5).
With so many single-figure chances picking this year’s Canterbury Classic champ is a tough ask for punters which is where the below tips come in for our readers.
#3 Unanimously ($3.60)
- Sticking with the favourite as the form looks to stack up here
- Won this race 12 months ago third-up but go in fresh here so should be nice and fresh
- Carried 54kg and get in really well with just half a kilo more for their title defense
- Haven’t run since their close third in the Carlyon Stakes over 1000m at Moonee Valley in August, will be better over 1100m without 57kg
- Canterbury record is outstanding (3-2-0-1) as is their record over the distance (10-3-3-2)
- They also boast two wins and a third over the 1100m here so are the track & distance specialist
- Excellent Win & Place record of 70% and go well first-up (5-3-0-0)
- Hard to find a downside as the barrier (two) and the jockey (Tommy Berry) are both also advantageous
#2 Skytrain ($5)
- Should get a gun run from barrier four and gets in fairly well with 56.5kg
- Is third-up here and has been racing well including their eye-catching third to No Looking Back when narrowly defeated in the Carrington Stakes over this distance at Rosehill last time out carrying 58kg
- Christian Reith retains the ride
- Has a good record at Canterbury having won here on their debut back in 2008 and run third at their only other look at the track
#7 Didntcostalot ($4.40)
- Genuine market mover and that’s not unjustified
- This distance might be a bit sharp for a few but this bargain buy will relish it with an excellent 1100m record (5-2-2-0)
- Consistent Win & Place rate of 54%
- Ran a good second over this distance at Rosehill last time out back in November
- Resumes racing for the season and always runs well fresh with a good first-up record of two wins from three starts
- Handles all ground and gets in on 54kg with an ace barrier (three)
When you’re ready to back either our Canterbury Classic predictions or your own selections tonight make sure you lock in the best prices online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.