This Saturday the race towards next month’s Blue Diamond Stakes 2013 heats up with two separate previews to run at Caulfield Racecourse, the Races.com.au team’s insider tips on the colts & geldings edition detailed below.
The first of the Blue Diamond Previews, the $120,000 Listed edition for the boys is scheduled to run as Caulfield Race 3 at 2:10pm (AEST) having attracted 11 final acceptors.
Current favourite and the early market mover is Peter Moody’s Exceed And Excel colt Thermal Current at a firming quote of $3.20 through bookmaker.com.au.
One of six youngsters going into the clash with previous race experience, Thermal Current debuted at Flemington on January 12 with a close second and will have benefited from the run.
They are drawn favourably in gate two for Saturday’s assignment with Moody’s ace rider Luke Nolen taking over riding duties from the horse’s first jockey Brad Rawiller.
The next best fancied two-year-old Blue Diamond hopes in the race are then the Peter Snowden-trained Kuroshio ($3.60) with two starts to their name most recently a third in the Inglis Debutants Stakes in October at this track, and Excitable Boy ($5) who was third to Kuroshio in the Listed Superracing Stakes at Flemington on debut.
With so little form to go on backing the Blue Diamond Colts & Geldings Preview winner can be a tough ask for punters.
That’s where the Races.com.au team’s tips come in.
#1 Kuroshio ($3.60)
- Snowden’s colt has the experience factor with two previous race starts
- Winner on debut at Flemington in October winning the Listed Superracing Stakes (1000m) by a narrow margin
- Third last time out in the Inglis Debutants Stakes and runs for the first time since
- Likely to have matured from that run ready for their next campaign starting with this
- Experience at the track which will help
#9 Mon Gateau ($8)
- Debutant for Mark Kavanagh, nicely bred by Bel Esprit out of Zeditave mare Zedski
- Looked impressive in their trial on January 18 putting two lengths on their rivals over 100m
- That was at Strathalbyn so the class here is going to be much higher but think they can handle this pretty average feel
#2 Thermal Current ($3.20)
- Firming favourite but a few questions for us
- Exceed And Excel breeding is nice as was their recent debut
- In their favour is it hasn’t been long between runs so fitness is there
Whether you’re taking on our Blue Diamond Preview selections for this weekend or want to lock in the juicy futures prices for the BD Stakes before markets firm, the autumn racing odds you need will be found online at bookmaker.com.au.
So sign-up now with the country’s leading online bookie and enjoy a $400 bonus welcome bet simply by using the promo code BONUSBET when you make your first deposit!