Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday the key race in Sydney will be the 2012 Festival Stakes at Rosehill Gardens, the Races.com.au team’s insider tips and betting selections for which are detailed below.
Scheduled to jump at 4:30pm (AEST) as Rosehill Race 6 the $100,000 Listed Blackwoods Stanley Dewalt Festival Stakes (1500m) is at capacity this year with 17 starters.
One of those, #17 Praecido, was an early scratching paving the way for first emergency Gangster’s Choice to gain a run.
There’s also still two more emergencies in wait with Al’s Gold and Scream Machine.
Two horses are currently installed at the top of the Festival Stakes betting markets with the Peter Snowden-trained Galah drawn nicely in gate two and coming off a good second at Flemington a month back, and Matthew Smith’s in-form mare Cabernet last seen winning a stakes race at Sandown.
So does the Races.com.au crew’s Festival Stakes tip to win come from one of these two top fancies?
Or do we have a longer-priced hopeful such as defending champ Monton ($13) or Classics ($10) who is out for their third win on the trot rated special to score an upset?
#10 Classics ($10)
- Great value at double figures for this in-form Peter Snowden-trained mare
- Has a gun draw (barrier five) and should get the perfect run from there
- Hasn’t raced over the distance before but did win over 100m shorter last start (November 24) to win the November Handicap at the track
- That was their second Rosehill win on the trot following a good effort earlier last month when carrying 59kg to victory
- On just 54kg for this which gives them a huge advantage
- Lightly-raced for her age with just 11 starts but showing plenty of upsdie
- Boasts an excellent Win & Place rate (64%) having won five of those 11 starts so far
- Three from five at the track
#3 Cabernet ($6)
- Drawn nicely in gate four with Brenton Avdulla reuniting having ridden them to a luckless second in a Group 3 over 1400m on Melbourne Cup Day two back
- Last start winner over the distance having won the listed Summoned Stakes, beating home a Group 2 winner in the process, at Sandown on November 17
- Trainer says they have improved on that run and are ready for more black type
- Carries the same 56kg here
- Has a decent record at Rosehill (6-2-1-0)
- Also ran a brave sixth when defeated only four lengths by champion mare More Joyous in the Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes at this track & distance back in April
- Still fairly fresh having had just three runs over the past couple of months
#13 Galah ($6)
- Hard to go past the co-favourite to finish in the money here looking at the Festival Stakes form
- Snowden’s runner should run well from their inside barrier three draw, regular rider Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- Were competitive over the mile at Flemington on Emirates Stakes Day last start carrying 57kg when second as the beaten favourite
- Get down to the 54kg minimum here and drop 100m – both working in their favour
- Also gets the blinkers on to sharpen them up
Roughie We Like
#4 Darci Be Good (blink text=”$13″])
- Gets back to 1500m having run over the mile at their two most recent
- Has been up a long time but could have one more good run in them
- Took out the Group 3 Hawkesbury Gold Cup last time out but needs luck from horror gate (17) and going up from 54kg to 56kg
Whether you are backing or sacking our Festival Stakes selections you’ll get the guaranteed best prices on all the Sydney races online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the famous $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.