Stephen Brown’s new stable acquisition Winter King will look to recapture their past form when they take on a classy field of fellow sprinters as the narrow favourite in the 2012 Doveton Stakes at Caulfield Racecourse this Saturday.
Drawing a final field of just 10 hopefuls this year’s $120,000 Listed BMW Doveton Stakes (1000m) is due to run as Caulfield Race 6 at 4:10pm (AEST) with One Cool Cat six-year-old Winter King topping the early odds at a quote of $4.20.
Set to jump from gate seven with Nicholas Hall in the saddle, Winter King will be having just their second start for former Darwin horseman Brown having been transferred to him from David Payne’s stables earlier in the year.
Their debut for Brown was a credible fourth in the Listed 50 Years of Fashions on the Field (1000m) at Flemington on November 8, a performance Winter King is tipped to improve on as they look to win their first race since August of 2010.
“That was his first start for us and I didn’t really know the horse, but he was probably a little bit on the gross side,” Brown said.
“It was only 1000 metres, though, so I wasn’t too worried about that.
“But he had a really good blow after that race and it has done him the world of good.”
The bookies are having a hard time separating the chances in the race with five other single-figure chances in the Doveton Stakes odds with:
- #8 Esprit De Bullet ($4.80) – Adelaide raider out for their third win on the trot having won back-to-back races back home at Morphettville last month over the 1000m, rises in class but distance and draw (2) are ideal
- #2 Kulgrinda ($5) – Peter Moody-trained black type winning mare comes off a last start victory over the distance at Moonee Valley on November 24, carried 58kg there so can handle the weight again on Saturday
- #4 Alpha Proxima ($7) – Seven-year-old galloper racing second-up here having run second to Kulgrinda last time out, if that form stacks up they are in with a chance having won over the track and distance during the winter
- #10 Halle Rocks ($7) – Mick Price-trained Fastnet Rock mare won over 1000m at the Valley first-up last month, distance specialist having won four from five including one at Caulfield last spring
- #1 Catapulted ($8) – Mark Kavanagh’s resuming seven-year-old hasn’t run since they finished dead last when beaten 16 lengths by superstar Black Caviar it the Group 1 The Goodwood back in May, this is easier and they have an imposing first-up record (8-4-3-1) having never finished out of the money when coming off a break
Check out the complete 2012 Doveton Stakes odds below, the latest fixed win prices courtesy of the country’s leading online bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Want to get in on the summer racing action this weekend but don’t have an account open with bookmaker.com.au?
Join today quoting the codeword BONUSBET and enjoy a bonus bet valued up to $400! Click on the link for Full Terms & Conditions.
2012 Doveton Stakes Odds
Caulfield Race 6 – 4:10pm (AEST) – 08/12/2012
|3||WINTER KING (7)||4.20|
|4||ALPHA PROXIMA (8)||7.00|
|5||THE SOLDIER (6)||11.00|
|8||ESPRIT DE BULLET (2)||4.80|
|9||HOTHAM HEIGHTS (4)||26.00|
|10||HALLE ROCKS (1)||7.00|
*Fixed Win odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change