A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
WA’s Ascot Racecourse will be host to the latest summer racing feature this Saturday with the 2012 Placid Ark Stakes for three-year-olds set to take centre stage, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive tips for which are listed below.
A race that has been used as a guide for the following weekend’s Group 3 Lee Steere Classic (1400m) at the same track, the $80,000 Listed Placid Ark Stakes (1200m) this year originally drew a final field of 10 three-year-olds.
Two early scratchings however with Group 3 winning filly Fuddle Dee Duddle and Hussars both coming out has left only eight runners vying for the title.
Favourite in the Placid Ark Stakes odds is currently the undefeated Hard Ball Get ($2.40) who is followed closely by their also undefeated stablemate, the fellow Simon Miller-trained Miss Bux ($3.40).
The other two fancies under $10 in the markets are then Detection ($4.80) who is after their third win on the trot having won four of their last six starts but has work to do from a wider draw than the others, and Dueton ($8.50) who will be second-up on Saturday after a credible second to the unbeaten The Rising upon resuming on November 17.
So are we sticking with these top fancies for our Placid Ark Stakes selections and predictions or is there value to be had tipping an upset?
#3 Hard Ball Get ($2.40)
- Favourite and rightly so based on their two career wins to date
- This Aussie Rules grey won back-to-back races at Belmont Park at career start one and two back in July over 1200m and 1300m
- Showed they had lost none of their flair a fortnight ago when winning a 950m Lark Hill barrier trial win by six lengths two weeks ago
- Talented local trainer Simon Miller is in form at the moment and has had this race picked out for them for a while
#10 Miss Bux ($3.40)
- Expect this untapped filly to get a lovely run form gate three as she follows her stablemate Hard Ball Get up through the field all the way to the line
- She enjoyed a good one and a half length win on debut back on November 15 albeit against a lesser field at Bunbury in a maiden
- That run earned her a shot at this and if she rises to the challenge can continue the good form off her debut as runner-up Western Blaze went on to win by 1.5 on Wednesday
#4 Dueton ($8.50)
- Consistent local that has had six starts for one win and three minor placings
- Should improve second-up after a good second to undefeated The Rising first-up over 1000m on November 17
- Ate up the ground late in their last run so extra distance here should suit
- Ideal draw and should settle just off the frontrunners and come home strong
Get in on the Perth Summer Carnival racing and betting action online at bookmaker.com.au today and enjoy a complimentary bonus bet valued up to $400 as a new customer that deposits and quotes the exclusive code word BONUSBET this season!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.