After a failed spring cups bid down under and after being overlooked for an invitation to the Hong Kong International Race Day in December, OTI’s My Quest For Peace will stay on Australia under the preparation of Peter Moody and target the 2013 Sydney and Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnival features.
The former Luca Cumani-trained Galileo stallion enjoyed back-to-back wins at Goodwood back in August before being bought down under for a shot at the Caulfield Cup – Melbourne Cup double.
After a credible fifth when beaten only a length and a half by last year’s Melbourne Cup winner Dunaden in the Caulfield Cup, My Quest For Peace failed to come within six and a half lengths of Green Moon next start when they finished 10th – the last of the prize money finishers – in the Melbourne Cup over the two miles at Flemington.
A number of where-to-next options were being considered for the five-year-old after that but those possibilities became limited when no invitation to the Hong Kong International Race Day on December 9 at Sha Tin was received.
Instead the horse will remain in Australia and target the autumn riches on offer, Aussie connections hoping My Quest For Peace can emulate another former Cumani-trained import Manighar who had a flawless autumn campaign earlier this year.
Fourth and fifth respectively in last year’s Caulfield and Melbourne Cups, Manighar joined the stables of ace Victorian trainer Moody at the end of the spring and returned in the autumn in stellar form with their season headlined by their Group 1 triple.
Manighar became the first horse in history to win the Australian Cup – Ranvet Stakes – The BMW triple and backed that up with two more Group 1 minor placings when second to More Joyous in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes and third to Mawingo in the Doomben Cup in Brisbane.
Owners at the Melbourne-based OTI Racing Sydnicate are hoping they can achieve even half the success Manighar did during the autumn with their first major assignment being the $1 million Group 1 Dubai Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington on March 9, 2013.
“He’ll follow the same path as Manighar last season,” OTI director Terry Henderson said.
“He’ll go to the paddock, have a brief let up and be ready to go in the early autumn.
“The short-term objective is the Australian Cup.”
As for Manighar, also owned by OTI, the champion Linamix gelding is due to return shortly after a minor injury (bone chip) saw their spring campaign end just two runs in, the six-year-old last seen finishing sixth to Ocean Park in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m).
“Manighar is coming along well,” Henderson said.
“He’s on the water walker and the prognosis for him to resume training for the autumn in four weeks is excellent.”
When it comes to choosing a bookie for your autumn carnival needs next year make sure you sign-up with the best – bookmaker.com.au – who are currently rewarding first-time depositing customers with a bonus bet valued up to a juicy $400!