Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the two feature races on a crack Zipping Classic Day program this Saturday is the three-year-olds’ 2012 Sandown Guineas– form guide facts and a detailed betting preview for which are detailed exclusively for Races.com.au readers below.
Set to run as Sandown Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEST) the $350,000 Group 2 Sportingbet Sandown Guineas (1600m) field features 16 hopefuls this year, three of which are at single-figures in the latest Sandown Guineas odds.
Current favourite with the bookies is the Peter Snowden-trained Tatra ($4.60) who has drawn barrier seven and as such sits just ahead of the horse that beat them home last start, Bart Cummings’ Inglis Carbine Club Stakes winner Lunar Rise at $4.80 after drawing awkwardly for Saturday with gate 14.
Occupying the third line of Sandown Guineas betting is then Snowden’s second acceptor Proverb ($5.50) who ran third behind Lunar Rise and Tatra in the Carbine Club Stakes at Flemington on Derby Day.
So this is the story the Sandown Guineas odds tell, but what about the form guide and betting history on this end of season classic?
Having gone over this year’s Sandown Guineas field and form below are the must know Sandown Guineas facts to have you cleaning out the bookies on the weekend.
2012 Sandown Guineas Facts & Form Stats
- Last year’s Sandown Guineas winner was the Bill & Symon Wilde-trained So Swift who came off a first-up win, jumped from barrier 2 (of 13) and was ridden by Craig Williams
- Bill & Symon Wilde will vie for back-to-back wins this year with #12 Gold Medals ($11) while last year’s winning hoop Williams will ride #11 Right To Roam ($14) who has also drawn last year’s winning barrier (2)
- In regards to barriers only four of the past 16 runners have jumped from wider than gate five; horses drawn in gates 1 – 5 this year are #12 Gold Medals (1), #11 Right To Roam (2), #14 Host Of The Party (3), #5 Eximius (4) and #8 Edgewood (5)
- There are five last-start winners in this year’s field with #2 Lunar Rise (Group 3 Inglis Carbine Club Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 03/11/2012), #5 Eximius (Listed Hilton Hotels Stakes, 1400m, Flemington, 10/11/2012), #6 Flying Skipper (Listed Myer Spring Fashion Stakes, 1800m, Flemington, 08/11/2012), #10 Hunger (3YO RST82, 1400m, Sale, 28/10/2012) and #13 Just Forget It (3YO MDN, 1430m, Traralgon, 03/11/2012)
- So Swift last year was only the fourth Sandown Guineas winner in the past 25 years not to have their final lead-up during the four-day Melbourne Cup Carnival
- History says that the Inglis Carbine Club Stakes is the best Sandown Guineas guide producing eight winners in the past 25 years
- #2 Lunar Rise ($4.80) is out to become the eight horse to complete the Carbine Club Stakes – Sandown Guineas double
- Other horses coming via the Inglis Carbine this year are then #1 Tatra (2nd), #4 Proverb (3rd), #7 Al Aneed (6th) and #11 Right To Roam (7th)
- The other crucial Sandown Guineas lead-up race has been the Myer Fashion Stakes on Oaks Day which has produced six winners in the past 25 years including four three-year-olds that completed the double the most recent of which was Pay Keys (2003)
- Pay Keys’ trainer John Hickmott will be out for the same Myer Fashion Stakes – Sandown Guineas double again in 2012 saddling up #6 Flying Skipper ($41)
- The only other horse coming via this year’s Myer Fashion Stakes is then #14 Host Of The Party ($21) who ran a brave fourth (beaten only a half-length by the winner)
- #10 Hunger ($17) boasts the highest Win Rate with 66.67% having won two of their three stars to date followed by #14 Host Of The Party (50%) who has had won win from two starts, #5 Eximius (40%) and #7 Al Aneed (40%)
- The best Place Rate of the field then belongs to #8 Edgewood ($12) who is yet to finish out of the money (100%) followed by #4 Proverb (75%) and #12 Gold Medals (75%)
- The only hopeful to have had a previous run at the track is #9 Timely Truce (1-0-1-0) who finished second in a Listed sprint in their race debut last November
- Horses with the best experience over the mile are then #2 Lunar Rise (1-1-0-0), #1 Tatra (2-0-1-1), #4 Proverb (3-0-0-3) and #16 Moreau (1-0-0-1)
- The Sandown Guineas has been a good race for the favourites in recent history with nine of the past 20 punters’ picks saluting, including three of the past four; the top fancies this year are #1 Tatra ($4.60) and #2 Lunar Rise ($4.80)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Sandown Guineas tips to be published shortly.
Already have the winning Sandown Guineas trifecta picked out based on the above facts and stats?
Lock in your selections online now for the hottest price by opening an account with bookmaker.com.au who also has a $400 bonus welcome bet waiting for new depositing customers that quote the promo code BONUSBET!
2012 Sandown Guineas Field & Form Guide
Sandown Race 7 – 4:10pm (AEST) – 17/11/2012
|1.||TATRA||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||7||56.5||3yoC||14||$24,215||10: 2 1 2||20.00%||50.00%||3×3102|
|2.||LUNAR RISE||J B Cummings||Hugh Bowman||14||56.5||3yoG||14||$28,431||8: 3 0 1||37.50%||50.00%||711341|
|3.||DANCES ON STARS||G A Ryan||Michael Walker||12||56.5||3yoC||7||$17,222||9: 1 2 2||11.11%||55.56%||339×79|
|4.||PROVERB||Peter Snowden||Steven Arnold||8||56.5||3yoG||14||$20,475||8: 2 1 3||25.00%||75.00%||3×2313|
|5.||EXIMIUS||M G Price||Craig Newitt||4||56.5||3yoG||7||$29,755||5: 2 0 1||40.00%||60.00%||1×4361|
|6.||FLYING SKIPPER||J E Hickmott||Steven King||11||56.5||3yoG||9||$10,246||12: 2 3 2||16.67%||58.33%||212541|
|7.||AL ANEED||M G Price||Glen Boss||9||56.5||3yoC||14||$18,028||5: 2 0 0||40.00%||40.00%||5×1416|
|8.||EDGEWOOD||R D Griffiths||Nicholas Hall||5||56.5||3yoC||20||$34,050||3: 1 0 2||33.33%||100.00%||1×33|
|9.||TIMELY TRUCE||Ricky Maund||Dean Yendall||16||56.5||3yoG||13||$6,885||13: 1 4 2||7.69%||53.85%||148222|
|10.||HUNGER||M G Price||Peter Mertens||13||56.5||3yoG||20||$23,617||3: 2 0 0||66.67%||66.67%||511|
|11.||RIGHT TO ROAM||P G Carey||Craig Williams||2||56.5||3yoC||14||$3,304||10: 1 1 1||10.00%||30.00%||680487|
|12.||GOLD MEDALS||B and S Wilde||Michael Rodd||1||56.5||3yoG||7||$5,781||4: 1 1 1||25.00%||75.00%||17×23|
|13.||JUST FORGET IT||Kane Harris||Daniel Stackhouse||6||56.5||3yoC||14||$6,933||3: 1 0 1||33.33%||66.67%||35×1|
|14.||HOST OF THE PARTY||R W Smerdon||Dwayne Dunn||3||56.5||3yoG||9||$8,725||2: 1 0 0||50.00%||50.00%||14|
|15.||CRACKED||D L Howard||Daniel Moor||15||56.5||3yoC||16||$1,297||3: 0 1 0||0.00%||33.33%||482|
|16.||MOREAU||D Binaisse||Vlad Duric||10||54.5||3yoF||9||$5,142||7: 0 2 3||0.00%||71.43%||202533|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.