While the spring racing action draws to a close in Melbourne at Sandown this Saturday the Perth Summer Racing Carnival is just starting to heat up at Ascot Racecourse with two Group race features due to run including the 2012 RJ Peters Stakes.
Set to run as Ascot Race 6 at 4:20pm (AEST) this year’s $125,000 Group 3 RJ Peters Stakes (1500m) has drawn a final field of just 10 hopefuls, the current favourite of which is Maschino ($3.90).
Drawn in gate 7 with regular hoop Jarrad Noske to ride the Graham Yuill-trained Encosta De Lago stallion has had three runs this time in for three top three finishes.
Most recently the five-year-old was seen coming within a length of Westriver Kevydonn in the Group 3 Asian Beau Stakes (1400m) on November 3 which they should be able to improve on going up to the 1500m here.
It is shaping up as a wide open race however with four other single-figure fancies in the RJ Peters Stakes betting markets:
- #5 Kerrific ($4) – Blackfriars six-year-old runs fourth-up here, was a slashing second to King Saul two back in the Northerly Stakes before their last start third in the Asian Beau, always honest galloper that will relish going up in distance, also gets the draw with gate two
- #9 Iseethingsyoudon’t ($5.50) – Steps up in class for this making their black type debut but connections think they are ready, lightly-raced for a five-year-old having just their eighth start, need to prove themselves at this level and at this distance
- #4 Belora ($5.50) – Dan Morton-trained Oratorio gelding has been out of form at their past two runs over distances that didn’t suit, before that was four length winner of the Boulder Cup over 1760m, can they regain their form?
- #3 Niblick ($8) – Former Robert Hickmott-trained galloper has had two runs this time in finishing sixth in both, will be more competitive third-up over the 1500m from barrier three
So these are the punters’ and bookies’ picks but what about the expert team of tipsters at Races.com.au. Which horse do we have rated special to win the RJ Peters Stakes 2012?
2012 RJ Peters Stakes Trifecta Tip
- #6 Maschino ($3.90) from #5 Kerrific ($4) and #9 Iseethingsyoudon’t ($5.50)
Really hard to go past the order of the odds here.
Maschino and Kerrific have faced off in their past two runs when running three-two in the Northerly and then two-three in the Asian Beau, won’t be much between them on the line but just think Maschino has more improvement going up to the 1500m.
Whether you are backing or sacking our RJ Peters Stakes selections make sure you get your picks at the best prices online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the popular $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
2012 RJ Peters Stakes Odds
Ascot Race 6 – 7:20pm (AEST) – 17/11/2012
|1||BATTLE EMBLEM (1)||34.00|
|2||MEGA STEEL (9)||17.00|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change