The action of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival comes to a close this Saturday with Zipping Classic Day, one of the meeting’s feature races being the 2012 Eclipse Stakes – tips and a betting preview for which are detailed below.
Having attracted a 10-horse field this year’s $150,000 Group 3 Eclipse Stakes (1800m) is scheduled to run as Sandown Race 4 at 2:10pm (AEST).
It is a wide open race too with half the field at single-figure odds in the Eclipse Stakes betting markets.
Current favourite at a quote of $3.50 is the in-form Star Of Giselle who, from the ideal barrier two draw, will shoot for her fourth straight win.
The Mathew Ellerton and Simon Zahra-trained mare has won her past two starts at black type level over the mile most recently putting an easy one and three quarter lengths on her closest rival in the Group 3 Tesio Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley on October 27.
Star Of Giselle is then followed in the markets by the Anthony Cummings-trained Group 1 performer Strike The Stars ($4.60), last-start Flemington winner Éclair Surprise ($7), the David Hayes-trained Niconoise ($7) who also won over 1800m at Flemington last time out, and 59kg topweight Grey Assignment who was just nudged out of their fourth straight win by Éclair Surprise on Melbourne Cup Day.
With so many horses under double figures and the biggest roughie only paying $26 (Kasane) the Eclipse Stakes looks anyone’s for the taking.
So to help you back a winner this weekend below are the Races.com.au team’s insider Eclipse Stakes betting tips.
#5 Éclair Surprise ($7)
- Is an early market mover with the money trail on them but still awesome value
- Wider draw (7) but with only nine rivals that is no disaster
- Adelaide raider in great form having won their past two on the trot
- Most recently held on in a tight finish to beat Sandown Guineas rival Grey Assignment by the nod of a head
- Well-weighted here with 56.5kg, only one more kilo than the weight they had on Melbourne Cup Day when winning the Listed Diamond Jubilee Plate over this distance (1800m)
- Based at Morphettville with Phillip Stokes now but plenty of experience in Melbourne having previously been prepared by Robert Smerdon and Peter Moody
#4 Star Of Giselle ($3.50)
- This filly is on fire having won her past three on the trot
- Gets a gun draw with barrier two
- Is the deserving favourite but needs to carry the 57kg in open company here
- Last seen winning the Group 3 Tesio Stakes over the Moonee Valley mile against her own kind
- Can she beat the boys? Maybe not but will come close
- Distance should suit even though she hasn’t seen it yet
#1 Grey Assignment ($7.50)
- 59kg topweight which rules them out of the win for us but really like their form
- Glen Boss rides which is a big plus
- Had the far outside gate to overcome but plenty of distance to do it
- In great form this season with four wins from their past six starts
- Only just lost to Éclair Surprise last start with a nod of the head between them
- Actually drops half a kilo from that run
- Distance is ideal as they won over the 1800m (and before that 2000m & 2200m) in Brisbane this spring
Whether you are taking our Eclipse Stakes tips or locking in your own selections make sure you get the best Sandown racing odds for this weekend online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the exclusive Pick Your Own Odds markets!