Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
A crack line-up of end of season features will light up Melbourne’s Sandown Racecourse this Saturday including the Sandown Stakes 2012– betting tips for which have been exclusively selected and detailed below by the expert team of tipsters at Races.com.au.
Twelve hopefuls were originally accepted for this year’s edition of the $150,000 Group 3 Sandown Stakes (1500m), the quality handicap clash due to jump at 2:50pm (AEST) as Sandown Race 5, but the field is now down to 11 following the early scratching of the 59kg top-weight #1 Over Quota.
The updated Sandown Stakes betting markets are now firmly led by the Paul Messara-trained Mahisara who has been heavily supported in from $4.20 to $3.70 over the past 24 hours in their first Group assignment for the season.
Occupying the second line of the Sandown Stakes odds is then Peter Snowden’s smart Lonhro mare Raspberries who hasn’t budged from their opening price of $4.20.
So is the team at Races.com.au sticking with the favourites in their predicted Sandown Stakes result? Or do we have a longer-priced rival such as honest Cranbourne galloper Morant ($5.50), the Tony Vasil-trained Veewap ($9) or Snippetson four-year-old Mister Milton ($9.50) tipped to win?
#7 Mahisara ($3.70)
- Sticking with the favourite believing the money trail is worth following here
- Steps up to Group company for the first time this time in at start number four so should be ready to strike
- Obvious class rise from their last start Flemington victory but should be able to handle it
- Beat a decent field by one and a half lengths over 1400m carrying 59kg on Melbourne Cup Day
- Craig Williams stays on for Saturday and they drop back to just 55kg which will suit
- 1500m should also be ideal
- Ran in the Sandown Guineas last year (5th to So Swift) so have experience at the track
#1 Raspberries (bookmaker.com.au“)
- Represents great value here having run a brave sixth to Appearance in the Group 1 Myer Classic over the Flemington mile last start
- Drop back in distance (1500m) and class here will work in their favour
- Awesome barrier 3 draw with regular rider Kerrin McEvoy staying on
- Multiple Group winner
- Does see the track for the first time, but so do the bulk of these
- Has to also overcome the 58.5kg top-weight which they haven’t carried before – giving a lot of weight to some smart rivals
#4 Mr Make Believe ($10)
- Adds good value to the trifecta & exotics at double figures
- Drawn ideally in gate four one outside of Raspberries
- Unbeaten at Sandown with three wins from as many starts
- However all three of those wins came on the trot last year when they got a Heavy-rated track each time
- Is a known wet-tracker and this mudlark really needs it muddy to win
- 1500m however looks ideal after they won at Rosehill over this distance with 59kg back in March
To lock in our exclusive Sandown Stakes tips and check out the full markets for all the weekend’s racing head along to bookmaker.com.au and take two minutes to open a new account to also enjoy your $400 bonus welcome bet!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.