Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
A talented line-up of 16 three-year-olds are due to face off in the Sandown Guineas 2012 on Zipping Classic Day in Melbourne this Saturday and to make sure your money is on the right youngster below are our insider tips and selections for Sandown Race 7.
There are currently two horses vying for top spot in the markets for the $350,000 Group 2 Sandown Guineas (1600m) this year with the Peter Snowden-trained Tatra currently winning the battle at a quote of $4.80.
Hot on their heels is then Bart Cummings’ progressive galloper Lunar Rise ($5) who beat Tatra home in the Group 3 Inglis Carbine Club Stakes over the 1600m last start but who has drawn awkwardly in the Guineas with barrier 14.
The other single-figure fancy is then Tatra’s stablemate Proverb ($5.50) coming off a good third in the Carbine Club Stakes.
So does the Races.com.au Sandown Guineas tip to win come from inside this top trio?
Or do we have an upset result in our predictions with a longer-priced hopeful such as Gold Medals ($11) out to hand trainers Bill & Symon Wilde with back-to-back wins in the race following the success of So Swift 12 months ago and Mick Price’s Emirates Stakes Day winner Eximius ($12) rated special to win?
#2 Lunar Rise ($5)We are tipping the same three horses to run the Sandown Guineas trifecta as in the Carbine Club Stakes but with #2 Lunar Rise to beat home #1 Tatra with #4 Proverb rounding out the top three
- They may have barrier 14 (of 16) to overcome but look to have the class to do it despite the poor record of widely-drawn horses in the Guineas
- They held on in a gritty win in the Carbine Club Stakes last start with Hugh Bowman aboard from barrier 9 (of 10) and Bowman retains the ride here
- Only horse to have won over the mile before
- The Inglis Carbine Club Stakes has produced eight of the past 25 Guineas winners, the most of any other race
- Eight horses have completed the Carbine Club Stakes – Sandown Guineas double over the years
#1 Tatra ($4.80)
- Result could go either way as it did in the Carbine, just like the progression of Lunar Rise but wouldn’t be surprised to see Tatra turn the tables
- Current favourite and the top elects have a nice record in the Sandown Guineas with nine wins in the past 20 years and three of the past four getting the job done
- Comes off the right lead-up form having run in the Carbine
- Yet to win over the mile but has come close twice with a second and a third from their two attempts over the distance
#4 Proverb ($5.50)
- Sticking with the bookies for the Sandown Guineas trifecta this year, Proverb to run another good third as they did in the Carbine
- Up-and-comer from Snowden’s stables who won the Listed Dulcify Quality over 19000m in Sydney two back carrying 58kg before dropping back to the mile for the Carbine
- Awesome form so far having finished out of the money just twice from eight starts to date giving them an impressive 75% place rate which they can add to here
Roughies We Like
#11 Right To Roam ([bink text=”$13″])
- Has drawn last year’s winning barrier (2) and should get a gun run with last year’s winning jockey Craig Williams aboard
- Was a fair bit off them in the Carbine when 7th but can improve and a top four finish wouldn’t be out of the equation
#12 Gold Medals ($11)
- Prepared by last year’s winning trainers
- Should get the run of the race from barrier 1 so long as they stay out of trouble – all but four of the past 16 Sandown Guineas winners jumped from gates 1 – 5
- Awesome 75% Place Rate
- Will be third-up on Saturday for the first time ready to hit their peak
- Caught the eye last Saturday when third to Eximius in the Listed Hilton Hotels Stakes (1400m) at Flemington
- Jumped from 13 of 13 then and with a better barrier over more distance would likely have finished closer
Whatever three-year-old you’re backing this Sandown Guineas ensure you don’t settle for second-best by betting online with our preferred bookie bookmaker.com.au.
If you are new to sign-up with bookmaker.com.au make sure you take advantage of their exclusive $400 bonus bet offer open to first-time depositing customers that quote the promo code BONUSBET when prompted!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.