After being scratched from the 2012 Melbourne Cup due to a nearside suspensory ligament injury, it has since been made official that former Caulfield Cup winning mare Southern Speed has run her last race.
The Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas-trained Morphettville galloper’s retirement was confirmed by connections this week after her injury was more thoroughly examined, Southern Speed to be sold with a number of prominent breeding powerhouses having expressed interest in her as a broodmare.
“Why risk her after what she has achieved on the racetrack?” co-trainer Macdonald, who described her injury as “quite serious” said.
“She has raced in top company right through her career, won a Caulfield Cup and nearly $3 million prize money so she has certainly earned her retirement.”
Southern Speed, a daughter of US stallion Southern Image from Zabeel mare Golden Eagle, bows out of racing as a $2.8 million earner having won seven of her 25 career starts, most famously the $2.65 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) in the spring of 2011.
Her other more noteworthy victories included the Group 2 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) at Flemington this September and the Group 3 The Mittys Vanity (1400m) at the same track at just her third career start back in February of 2011.
She was also Group 1 placed on a number occasions:
- 3rd to Lights Of Heaven 2011 Schweppes Oaks (2008m) at her official home track in Adelaide
- 2nd to the ill-fated Lion Tamer in the 2011 Underwood Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield
- 2nd to super mare Black Caviar in the 2012 CF Orr Stakes (1400m) this autumn
- 2nd when defeated a mere nose by Manighar in the 2012 Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington
Her last race was then a sixth place finish behind boom young Kiwi Ocean Park in the Group 1 WS Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on October 27.
Southern Speed may be out for the count but you can count on the rest of the spring stars jumping at the best odds online at bookmaker.com.au – home of the $400 bonus welcome bet offer!
Southern Speed Career Stats
- Foaled: 28/08/2007
- Career: 25-7-4-2
- Win %: 28%
- Place %: 24%
- API: 115.6
- Prize money: $2,810,250
- Wins: 1050m, 1200m, 1400m (3), 1600m, 2400m
- Highest Weight (Win): 60.0kg (1400m), 57kg (1400m), 57kg (1600m)
- Highest Weight (Place): 57.0kg (1400m), 57kg (2000m), 56.5kg (1200m)
- Min-Dist-Win: 1050m
- Max-Dist-Win: 2400m