Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They may have failed to break their Group 1 duck as the beaten favourite last start, and be facing a field of similar rivals this Saturday on Emirates Stakes Day, but can Buffering overcome the odds and the extreme outside barrier to win the Patinack Farm Classic 2012 on Emirates Stakes Day?
One of the best-tried sprinters at Group 1 level getting around the Rob Heathcote-trained Brisbane galloper has run in 12 Group 1 races to date and despite a number of close calls is yet to post a win at the highest level.
Last start the Mossman five-year-old was short-priced favourite to win the Group 1 Manikato Stakes at Moonee Valley after two Group 2 wins in Melbourne this time in, but they failed to get the job done when sixth to Sea Siren.
Now they get the chance to atone when they meet the John O’Shea-trained mare again, who is the easing $3.80 favourite on the weekend, in the $1 million Group 1 Patinack Farm Classic Stakes (1200m).
Runner-up to Black Caviar in the Melbourne Cup Carnival classic 12 months ago, Buffering is certainly a class horse with claims but they do have to jump from barrier 15 of 15 in the Patinack and win on a track that they are yet to win on after five attempts.
See below for all the facts and stats for and against Buffering saluting as the $5 second favourite in the Patinack Farm Classic.
#1 Buffering – Horse Form & Facts
- Barrier: 15
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Trainer: Robert Heathcote
- Owners: Mrs V A Heathcote, Mr S A Krslovic, Mr C A Moore, Mr S K Chipperfield, Mr C A Lord, Crafty Racing, Aspariamo Racing, Mr B W Harry, Mr R S Ciobo
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Mossman (AUS) from Anabaa (USA) mare Action Annie (AUS)
- Career: 29-11-7-4
- Win: 37.93%
- Place: 75.86%
- Last 6: 22×116
- Prize Money: $2,111,900
- Track: 5-0-3-1
- Distance: 18-6-5-3
- Current 2012 Patinack Farm Classic Odds: $5.00)
Yes – Buffering Can Win the Patinack Farm Classic 2012
- Is a super consistent sprinter that has run in 12 Group 1 races to date
- Was beaten by Sea Siren last start but had it over her in the Stradbroke Handicap running second to her ninth
- Has earned over $2.1 million in prize money to date despite not having won a Group 1 race; in comparison the favourite Sea Siren ($3.80) has won three Group 1’s but has only won $1.3 million in earnings
- Has run four top three places from five starts at Flemington
- One of the best tried at the distance (18-6-5-3) so he’s at the right trip
- Has run second over the Track & Distance three times from four starts including to Black Caviar in this race 12 months ago
- Black Caviar won the Schweppes Stakes in the lead-up to her Patinack win last year and Buffering is this year’s Schweppes (AJ Moore) Stakes winner
No – Buffering Won’t Be the 2012 Patinack Farm Classic
- Yet to win a Group 1 race despite 12 attempts
- Failed as the favourite last start when a disappointing sixth in the Manikato
- Seemingly no excuse for that effort and they need to improve here
- Face a similar field to the Manikato including Sea Siren (winner), Mental (runner-up) and fourth placed Hallowell Belle that all had his measure at Moonee Valley
- Is drawn in the extreme outside barrier 15 of 15 on Saturday
- His win rate is fare (37.93%) but looks a much better Place Bet with a place percentage of 75.86%
- Yet to win at Flemington from five starts (5-0-3-1) which also indicates backing them Each Way or in your exotics as opposed to a flat out Win bet looks best
To back the boy from Brisbane to break his Group 1 maiden status on Saturday head to our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au and lock Buffering in at the best prices in Australia.
Even better, enjoy a $400 bonus bet on the races this weekend by opening your new bookmaker.com.au account, making your first deposit and quoting the promo code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.