Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the key support races on the Emirates Stakes Day program at Melbourne’s Flemington Racecourse this Saturday will be the Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2012 – betting tips and preview for which are detailed below.
After Melbourne Cup Carnival’s final two Group 1 races have been run and won there is still reason for the punters and race fans to stick around with a crack field of local and international staying talent engaged to face off in Flemington Race 8 at 4:30pm (AEST) – the $250,000 Group 3 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2600m).
With the bulk of the field also eligible for the $100,000 Melbourne Cup balloted out bonus, this year’s Queen Elizabeth is certainly an enticing affair.
Current Queen Elizabeth Stakes odds are led by Puissance De Lune ($2.90), Glen Boss’s mount having run away for a flawless eight length Bendigo Cup triumph last start.
The two other single-figure chances are then the Bart Cummings-trained Dare To Dream ($7.50) who was last seen running a brave second to Kelinni, who went on to run fourth in the Melbourne Cup 2012 behind Green Moon, in the Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) at Flemington on Derby Day, and French star Shahwardi ($5.50) last seen winning the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) at Caulfield on October 13.
Other hopefuls that could shape up to be formidable opposition then include Saeed Bin Suroor’s European visitor Lost In The Moment, the Peter Moody-trained Moonee Valley Gold Cup winner Vatuvei and Folding Gear coming off a Caulfield Cup seventh who all pay $10 in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes betting markets.
So is the favourite the one to stick with here? Or does the Races.com.au crew have another horse rated special to win?
#2 Shahwardi ($5.50)
- The short price on the Bendigo Cup winner makes this Alain de Royer Dupre-trained champ excellent value
- Awesome form back home in France including their brave third to Joshua Tree in the Group 2 Prix Kergorlay over 3000m back in August
- Their Australian debut was a cracker when beating a similar field in the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes over the mile and a half
- 2600m suits to a tee here
- Will have improved on their first run down under
- Should get a gun run from barrier 5 (of 14)
#9 Vatuvei ($10)
- Moody’s Reset four-year-old was strong in the MV Cup over 2500m, only goes up 1000m here so distance is ideal
- Gets in well in the weights with 55kg, meeting the internationals three kilos better
- Will stay out of trouble from barrier 11
- They’ll love getting back to Flemington (after the tight turns at the Valley)
- Last start at the track won the VRC St Leger over 2800m by over a length
#11 Puissance De Lune ($2.90)
- Lightly-raced and super-consistent Ballarat galloper on the way up
- This Darren Weir-trained Shamardal grey is favourite after blitzing their rivals by eight lengths in the Bendigo Cup over 2400m from barrier 12 of 12
- Stays on the same weight (54.5kg) here so that’s in their favour
- Should get a much nicer run from barrier 7 here
- Glen Boss stays on
- They step up in class however and need to handle that – haven’t seen Flemington or a big metro meet here
- French import originally so there’s European form as well
Roughie We Like
#7 Ironstein ($17)
- Won this race last year by 2.5 lengths on the back of a Sydney campaign
- Carried 54kg then and go up to 56kg for their title defense but still well weighted
- Same jockey (Brenton Avdulla) and barrier (9) as 12 months ago
- Has been racing really well in Melbourne this time in
- Three top four finishes at Group level including third to Vautvei in the MV Gold Cup and fourth to Shahwardi in the Herbert Power
- Needs to improve about three lengths to win based on those two runs and their loosing margins, but makes an excellent Place Bet
Take our Queen Elizabeth Stakes tips (or take them on with your own!) online now at bookmaker.com.au – the 100 percent Australian owned and operated bookie offering new depositing customers a $400 bonus welcome bet when they quote the promo code BONUSBET.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.